First-year program will build on inaugural season

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

On Monday the Fresno State women̢۪s lacrosse team concluded their regular season at home against the University of Denver.

Denver came away with an 18-1 victory over the Bulldogs.

Senior Chelsea Davis scored the Bulldogs̢۪ only goal of the game, bringing the score to 13-1.

Denver went on to score five more goals before the end.

According to head coach Sue Behme, this game was a unique situation. The team was playing on the East Coast all last week, and did not get back into Fresno until Sunday afternoon.

“We were in New York on Tuesday, and then played in Maryland on Thursday and Washington D.C. on Saturday. It has been kind of a whirlwind this past week,â€Â Behme said.

The Bulldogs forced 21 turnovers defensively and turned the ball over 30 times throughout the course of the match.

Coach Behme stated that after looking at the stats, she thought that Denver had only caused the team to turn the ball over eight times.

“Several of the turnovers came from us not focusing or executing fundamental lacrosse skills; that’s what it came down to on forced turnovers,â€Â Behme said.

Now the team will prepare for the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation tournament.

The tournament will begin on April 23 in Palo Alto.

“The team has been traveling a lot, so before we resume training, we will be taking a break for a few days to catch up on school work, and to recharge our batteries,â€Â Behme said.

Stanford clinched the No. 1 seed in the tournament after beating UC Berkeley 13-4 on Sunday.

“I think it is going to come down to Stanford and Oregon in the tournament. Stanford has played well throughout the conference as well as their top twenty schedule,â€Â Behme said.

The Bulldogs have the seventh seed in the tournament. They will be playing against the second seed in the tournament which is still to be determined.

Depending on how the Oregon Ducks do this week against conference opponents St. Mary̢۪s and California, will decide whether they are the second or third seed for the tournament.

Although the schedule is not finalized yet, Coach Behme said she would not be surprised if they got Oregon for their first game.

If the Oregon Ducks win both matches this week, they will lock in the No. 2 seed for the tournament.

A pair of losses for the Oregon would bump them down to the No. 3 seed, making Denver the No. 2 seeded team for the tournament.

It is Behmes̢۪ expectation of the team to win a game in the tournament regardless of the opponent.

“We look at it as a new season. That is what the tournament is, and we are playing to win,â€Â Behme said in response to starting the tournament next Thursday.

“Although it may seem frustrating that we have not won a game yet, it is not. We just focus on the right things. We have seen all these teams before, and we just need to play to win,â€Â Behme said.