Despite economy, students continue to study abroad

Studying abroad is expensive — especially for cash-strapped college students living in a woeful economy.

Yet, as a number of Universities cut study abroad programs, Fresno State officials say that the current budget deficit hasn̢۪t daunted enthusiasm for students hoping to study overseas.

“We have yet to detect a significant drop in the number of students interested in studying abroad,â€Â said Dr. Robert Hudgens, director of the study abroad and international exchange programs.

“In fact, some students have expressed an interest in studying abroad to delay graduation until the job market improves.â€Â

In fact, international study has been on the rise at Fresno State in recent years.

During the 2003-2004 academic school year 189 students from Fresno State were studying abroad. 199 in 2004-2005. 207 in 2005-2006.

And in 2006-2007 the number rose to 250 students studying in one of the university̢۪s year-long programs offered in 18 countries or one of the semester-long outings offered in 25 countries.

“We’ve been fortunate at this campus,â€Â said administrator of the Continuing and Global Education department Dr. Berta Gonzales about funding for the study abroad programs at Fresno State.

“The provost has provided resources to keep the program going.â€Â

Last year, CSUF offered thousands in study-abroad scholarships to its students and the ASI added partial funding through the Instructionally Related Activities fees (IRA) to help pay for the trips abroad.

Recently, proposed state budget cuts to the CSU system totaling more than $386 million and the $4.6 million reduction to Fresno State jeopardized some overseas opportunities.

In response to the budget cuts, the London Semester Program in the College of Arts and Humanities, which has been offered every Spring semester for 25 consecutive years, will be canceled for Spring 2010.

Yet, Hudgens doesn̢۪t see a link between the outcomes of the canceled trips and the economic downturn.

“Maybe the destinations or subject matter of the trips just did not appeal to students,â€Â Hudgens said.

“Or perhaps the timing of the trips conflicted with their part-time employment or family obligations. It most likely is a combination of many factors, including economic anxiety.â€Â

Economic anxiety, institutional barriers, and prior student obligations have played a role in the cancellaton of some trips abroad, but Hudgens and Gonzales say funding isn̢۪t the only factor challenging the program.

“I can report that one of the faculty-led programs planned for Spring Break and two short-term study tours planned for this summer have been canceled for lack of sufficient student enrollment,â€Â Hudgens said.

“But every year there are a number of study tours that don’t fill.â€Â

Gonzales agreed: “It could be economic times for students. However, many students just don’t have the schedules that allow for them to go on the trips.â€Â

The spiraling economy coupled with the difficulties of getting student loans has made it harder for some college students to study abroad.

In spite of this, Gonzales says the program is just as strong as it̢۪s ever been, even citing an increase in participation for the spring semester in London.

Also, Fresno State renewed its South Pacific tour this past semester.

“I’m proud that we currently have two groups of students abroad right now,â€Â Gonzales said. “We have groups of about twenty students in the London and South Pacific semester abroad.â€Â

According to the International Institute of Education, most universities expect overall participation to continue to rise. Nationally the number of students has more than doubled in the past decade, according to the report.

However, economic factors, especially in California, could severely limit programs.

Universities with large study abroad programs have altered their programs to stay within budget.

Some universities, however, have struggled to adjust to recent cuts.

The impact of budget cuts has not dissuaded prospective students, but it has mired some opportunities. Two trips have been shelved so far and the fates of two trips this summer have yet to be determined.

In May, considerable discussion of the topic is expected to take place when the Association of International Educators gather in Los Angeles.

For now, the director of the study abroad program feels that any conclusions about the program in relation to the economy would be premature.

“We simply don’t have sufficient evidence to make definite statements at this point in time, especially in terms of cause and effect,â€Â Hudgens said.

“At the moment, proclaiming a direct relationship between a sagging economy and reduced interest in study abroad might just be a self-fulfilling prophecy.â€Â