Day-tripping for Spring Break

Photo courtesy of Valerie Nevens
The mountains and the beach are beckoning

With the poor economy putting the reins on every one̢۪s budget, getting out of town for the week may seem impossible, so get out of town for just the day. Take a break from the bad air and embrace the true meaning of spring: revitalization.

Sources of moving water, like waterfalls and beaches, release negative ions in the air that revitalize the mind and body and are scientifically proven to relieve stress, boost energy and alleviate depression.

What student couldn̢۪t use a natural pick-me-up this time of year?

Morro Bay

Aside from the invigorating ocean, Morro Bay has plenty to offer the day-tripper.

April 4 and 5, Morro Bay will be holding their annual Morro Bay Spring Yard Sale Weekend. Organizers of the popular event expect budget-minded shoppers to flock the 125 listed sale locations.

Shoppers can pick up a free “treasure mapâ€Â at Treasure Cove, located at Brenda Sue’s Consignment, 248 Morro Bay Blvd., starting at 7 a.m. Saturday.

Peter Candela, CEO for the Morro Bay Chamber of Commerce, said they are expecting a big turnout at this year’s sale. “There are literally buses coming from the Valley,â€Â he said.

“It’s fantastic,â€Â Candela said of the sale that was proposed by the local garbage company and their concern with useful stuff being thrown away. “You should see all the excitement it generates here.â€Â

Advertised as a family affair, the giant yard sale is a fun way to recycle and scope out others̢۪ forgotten treasures.

When shoppers are finished bargain hunting, they are encouraged to explore downtown Morro Bay for further entertainment.

There is a community farmers̢۪ market to enjoy from 3-6 p.m. and Candela said all participants are required to sell only locally handmade products.

The historic tall ship Lynx “America’s Privateerâ€Â will be on display in the harbor from April 2 to 21. Foot tours are offered from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. daily and are $5, children under 12 are allowed on the ship free of charge.

“It’s an incredible experience.â€Â Candela said. “You realize what a hardship it was to be a sailor back then.â€Â

Chamber trip specialist Rochelle Bento said on the weekends the ship offers a sailing experience for $65 per adult and $35 for children under 12.

Bento said the ride is worth the cost. “Every ride is a little different,â€Â she said. “I got to hoist the colors!â€Â

On the second Friday of the month, April 10, Morro Bay will hold their Morro Bay Embarcadero Art Walk. Galleries up and down Embarcadero Street open their doors to participate in this free event from 5-8 p.m. Perks include wine and social time with the featured artists.

Photo courtesy of Logan Hopkins
Yosemite

A magnificent aspect of spring in Yosemite is the waterfalls. As the weather warms, the snow melts and the waterfalls rush abundantly down their well-traveled paths, spilling over in plentitude.

Yosemite Falls, the tallest waterfall in North America, descends for a total of 2,425 feet in three tiered transitions, each being smaller than the last. Since it is fed mostly by snowmelt, Yosemite Falls reaches its peak flow late in May.

Scenes of growth and rebirth infuse Yosemite̢۪s spring landscape providing numerous photographic opportunities. This time of year, the tourists have yet to arrive so the park is peaceful, quiet and free of the typical summer traffic.

Fresno State student Alison Hummer, a junior majoring in interior design traveled to Yosemite around this time last year.

“The waterfalls were gorgeous,â€Â Hummer said. “I expected more greenery, but it was still amazing.â€Â

There were not that many people in the park, Hummer recalled, and part of the road was closed off, but there were several lookout points on the way up.

Spring storms can make snow chains necessary, at this time the national weather service is predicting a 50 percent chance of snow showers in Yosemite Valley on Monday, a 40 percent chance on Tuesday, with a slight chance on Wednesday.

Pack a lunch, bring a sweater, grab someone special, if you can, and treat yourself to the rejuvenating fresh air in one of California̢۪s most majestic landscapes.

What about the weather

Log onto the National Weather Service̢۪s Web site at weather.noaa.gov or call (209)372-0200 and press one, twice, for the most up-to-date road and weather conditions, so you can know before you go.

To receive more information or to make reservations, visit the Morro Bay Chamber of Commerce website at MorroBay.org or call toll free at (800) 231-0592

$100
$500

$100
$500

Sharon NevensApr 9, 2009 at 1:59 am

The last comment, was wierd and very un called for based on the article. Both places are beautiful, and worth every dime or lack there of , to go to. This is based in fact , not some bogus idea that either place is less than a quality place to go. Some still need to go to Mexico, I guess!

Sharon NevensApr 9, 2009 at 8:59 am

Milhouse VanHaughtenApr 3, 2009 at 1:43 pm

uggghhhh-yuck———–Morro Bay and Yosemite—–the economy isn’t that bad, is it?

Milhouse VanHaughtenApr 3, 2009 at 8:43 pm