Dancers adopt ‘the walk’

Students choreograph, perform and manage production of ‘On The Walk’

Lighting, music, costumes, choreography and of course, dancing. From production to performance, University Dance Theater (UDT) students do it all.

Associate professor Kenneth Balint, who oversees the class, said this semester’s show, titled “On The Walk,â€Â will not disappoint.

“It’s a variety show that showcases many different types of dance and music,â€Â Balint said. “Each person will find some part of the show that they enjoy. Everyone always loves the energy and the work that has been put in to get it where it is at.â€Â

The dancing ranges from traditional styles such as tap, ballet and jazz to modern, lyrical and hip-hop. The show also encompasses cultural styles such as salsa and Polynesian. The title of the show is also a reference to an odd position of the foot used in modern dance.

“There is a little bit of everything,â€Â Balint said. “The class allows students to stick with a dance style they are comfortable with as well as experiment with something different.â€Â

From conception to creation to production and performance, the student’s creativity stands behind each element. “It’s about the process of creating pieces and taking them from beginning to performance,â€Â Balint said.

UDT is unique, compared to other dance performance courses offered on campus, in that it gives students of all interests and majors a chance to express themselves. Balint said that although some of his students are dance majors or minors, many have different majors and simply can̢۪t get away from dance. Other students have never danced and decided to take the class for a new experience.

“We all come together and find common ground,â€Â Balint said.

Another unique aspect of the class is that the students learn how to put together all the pieces of a successful performance. Balint requires the 37 students in the class to choreograph and perform their dances and take part in the sound, lighting, costume design and stage management of the show.

“It’s so dancers don’t think they just dance and they understand that there are other aspects that go into the production of a show,â€Â Balint added. “It’s about finding new ways to contribute.â€Â

For example, Sarah Brownell, an undeclared freshman taking the class for the first time, choreographed dances for the show and will perform several pieces and assist with the music, lighting and projection during the show.

“It is cool that we have full reign of the show and get to experience such a wide range of things,â€Â Brownell said.

Lindsey Settle, a senior art history major, began dancing at age two. She enjoys dancing and loves performing even more and UDT gives her the opportunity to keep dancing, while attending school and working two jobs.

For Settle, UDT provides an escape from the hectic worries of her everyday life. “It’s like therapy every day,â€Â Settle said.

Settle also appreciates the different experiences she gets in addition to dancing.

“It is important to be well versed in all aspects of the stage,â€Â she said. “It’s wonderful to be on the stage, but there is a different feeling when you are behind the sidelines and running things.â€Â

Settle discovered Dance 115 while flipping through the course catalog eight semesters ago. She enrolled and never stopped taking the class simply for her own enjoyment. “I just enrolled for Fall 2009,â€Â she laughed.

“This is the most wonderful program I have ever been a part of,â€Â Settle said. “It is nice to be involved in someone else’s work, but it is wonderful to create your own and have your voice heard through your movement.â€Â

“On The Walkâ€Â

“On The Walkâ€Â shows start at 8 p.m. on April 30, May 1 and May 2. There will also be a 2 p.m. matinee performance on May 2. All performances will be held in the University Lab School Theater. All tickets are $5 and can be purchased at the box office in the Speech Arts building.