CSU system faces $50 million reduction

California State University, Fresno officials are awaiting the outcome of a May 19 meeting with the state Board of Trustees in order to finalize the 2009-10 school year budget.

It was recently announced that $948 million in cuts will be made, as there is not enough federal stimulus money to fund specific programs. This results in the loss of $50 million in government money normally funded to the California State University system for the next school year.

Fresno State president John Welty issued a statement that said, “We are preserving our commitment to make courses available for students currently enrolled and we are moving ahead to complete the library, although other capital projects are on hold.â€Â

Welty said the loss of this money will also result in possibly the elimination of some administrative functions and already vacant positions.

In addition, he said that $2.8 billion of which the state depends on is being protected, but that the $50 million is a huge blow to the CSU system.

“The $50 million reduction — while not welcome news — is not an unanticipated development,â€Â said Welty. “We understood it was a possibility when the state budget was approved in February.â€Â

The meeting between the state finance director and state treasurer on March 27 not only causes programs to be cut, but raises personal income taxes from 0.125 percent to 0.25 percent.

This decision will directly influence the Fresno State budget, as the university will be at a loss of $3 million causing Welty to reduce the 2009-10 budget by $1.3 million.

Welty said that the university will await the decisions of state officials and that Fresno State’s “emphasis will be on persuading the legislature and governor to avoid further cuts.â€Â