CSU, campus precautions for swine flu

Update: Gov. Schwarzenegger proclaims a state of emergency to combat swine flu

“As part of the state’s aggressive approach to addressing the swine flu, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today proclaimed a State of Emergency that will support and facilitate our state health departments’ response to this outbreak. While there is no need for alarm, it is the Governor’s top priority to limit the swine flu’s spread as quickly and effectively as possible and this action represents one more step being taken to strengthen California’s response capabilities.”

Click here to read full release.

Like most of the world, the California State University system is concerned about the spread of the swine flu virus and is keeping a close watch on information passed down from county, state and federal officials.

Campus officials from the Environment Health and Safety office and the Student Health Center are monitoring the situation locally as well. The Fresno States swine unit reports no problems.

At this time, no employees or students have reported swine flu symptoms. The CDC has advised against any non-essential travel to Mexico at this time. If doing so is necessary, check the State Department ‘s travel alert page (wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/default.aspx) for updates, tips and travel advisories. Click on “CDC Traveler’s Health – Travel Noticesâ€Â then on “Destinations,â€Â then “Mexico.â€Â

Swine flu symptoms are similar to regular seasonal flu symptoms and include fever, coughing, runny nose, sore throat, head and body aches, lack of appetite and lethargy. However, swine flue may also cause additional gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Public health officials advise using common sense measures, such as washing your hands and covering your mouth when you cough, to avoid transmission of the flu. If you do notice flu-like symptoms, stay home and contact your doctor.

For more information about swine flu, visit http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu. For campus related information regarding swine flu, visit fresnostatenews.com and check your email for updates.