ASI execs talk about plans for the next academic year

The Collegian met with recently-elected ASI executives Jessica Sweeten and Lauren Johnson. Sweeten, who has held the position of executive vice president since () was elected to serve as next year̢۪s ASI president, and Johnson will be returning to serve for another year as ASI̢۪s vice president of finance. Here are some of the things they had to say about what students can expect for next year.

Q: What are your goals for ASI the coming school year?

SWEETEN: To lay a solid foundation for years to come and to address the needs of students. I want to start by establishing a few senate and presidential cabinet. I want to look at the needs of students such as the price of textbooks and continue to work to put students on campus committees.

JOHNSON: My main goal is to increase ASI̢۪s exposure and communication with students. I plan on having more collaboration with clubs and programs on campus to ensure that they receive crucial funding so that they can operate optimally. Additionally, before creating the 2010-2011 budget, I would like to perform significant evaluations on current ASI programs and the possibilities of having new ASI programs so that I will be able to adjust the budget to meet the students’ wants and needs for next school year.

Q: Did you feel that the elections were done fairly considering the elimination of all 10 P.E.D.R.O. members?

SWEETEN: I do think that elections were done fairly. The student court took action that they felt was needed.

JOHNSON: The Student Court spent a lot of time reaching the decision they made and I support it.

Q: What will be your biggest challenges?

SWEETEN: Overcoming past problems. I will work with the ASI team to accomplish our goals and create a positive ASI.

JOHNSON: A major challenge will be regaining the trust and faith students have in ASI. To restore the image ASI should have, I will be even more transparent than I have been, and continue to be accessible to students, faculty, and staff. Ideally with this transparency, students will be aware of how their ASI student fees are spent and find that ASI is very responsible when distributing funds.

Q: Lauren, what kind of leadership will you take in helping the university negotiate the economic crisis?

JOHNSON: I will work closely with University Administration to ensure that the inevitable cuts are not made to the detriment of students. I will make it imperative that students are heard when making difficult decisions regarding funding cuts. Similar to how I plan on writing the 2010-2011 budget with student collaboration to evaluate existing programs, I will encourage University Administration to do the same so that cuts are not made to programs that students especially value.

Q: How will your past experience in ASI influence your choices and decisions for the new administration?

SWEETEN: My past experience will be a great tool. Being involved I know what works and what does not work. I will be able to use all my knowledge to create programs that work. I have seen how ASI can create programs that truly work.

JOHNSON: Because I know the internal processes of funding and how money is disbursed by ASI to clubs and programs, I would like to make that process easier by having one-on-one meetings with them to walk them through the processes and educate them on the funding opportunities available. I also know the history of ASI, and what has worked for it in the past and what hasn’t. I plan to address and repair the shortcomings of ASI and build upon ASI’s many strengths.

Q: Jessica, what should students look forward to most in the next year?

SWEETEN: Students can look forward to some exciting opportunities to serve within ASI and campus committees. As well as ASI to fund their clubs and organizations. Students should also be looking forward to chances to affect higher education through a lobby corps.