ASI candidates campaign in teams

Numerous people campaigning for Associated Student Inc. (ASI) positions are now coming together and joining forces to develop platforms as groups.

With elections starting Tuesday, there are two heavy power campaigning groups “For Students Who Deserve Moreâ€Â and “Party for Education, Direct Reform, and Objectives (P.E.D.R.O.).â€Â

“It’s a collective campaign effort…to inform students what visions we hold for the future of ASI and the direction we’d like to see ASI go,â€Â said Lauren Johnson, who is the current vice president of finance and part of For Students Who Deserve More.

A perk of advertising together is that all members share a common platform, while also maintaining individual goals for the given positions they are running for.

“It works well to run together because you create more resources when you run together,â€Â said Jessica Sweeten, who is running for ASI president and also a member of Johnson’s group.

“We know that together, we can continue to be a great asset to ASI.â€Â

Thus, it is like running with several running mates. It brings candidates together under a common purpose and goal, which allows for an easier means of promoting.

Tom Boroujeni is currently running for the ASI position of president and is the founder of the group P.E.D.R.O.

In starting his campaign Boroujeni wanted to be able to hand pick people to run with him, in hopes that if he is elected to office, that people voting for him will also vote into office the other members of his campaign group.

If other members of P.E.D.R.O. are elected alongside him, Boroujeni believes that change will be allowed to happen.

Currently, Hector Cerda, a candidate for the office of vice president of finance, is Boroujeni̢۪s right hand man along with eight others who are running for senate positions.

Cerda believes that the group campaigning strategy can be difficult at times, but believes that by working together they all have a better chance of getting into office and a great opportunity to work alongside one another.

“When I am out campaigning I ask students that if they vote for me to vote for the other students on our slate because we all see eye to eye,â€Â said Cerda.

“The advantage in working with a group is that if I run on the same slate with other like minded students then I feel we can make an actual change in our student government.â€Â

Collectively, the members of P.E.D.R.O. have each been assigned targeted areas for campaigning where they pass out flyers with their ten point platform and are also promoting their website www.pedro4asi.com.

In similar fashion, the members of For Students Who Deserve More are campaigning on the Web and promoting that their group be elected to office through other mediums.

This group consists of Johnson, who is running for re-election to her current position; Jessica Sweeten, running for the office of president; and Alex Andreotti, who is running for a senator at-large position.

And while there are only three that make up For Students Who Deserve More, they believe that their campaign is stronger than ever and simply trying to bring a new vision to ASI.

“Our common goal is to continue the shared governance model implemented this school year,â€Â said Andreotti. “ASI’s motto is ‘Students Serving Students,’ and this is done through student representatives on campus committees.â€Â

Andreotti, Sweeten and Johnson are all somehow involved in the current ASI and believe new change has already begun, but they still have a new vision for next years̢۪ student government and see endless possibilities for the future.

However, members of the P.E.D.R.O. group believe that the current and past structure of ASI have been nothing but bad news.

“Right now people are not putting in the time and the whole point of P.E.D.R.O. is for students to feel like they are getting more because they deserve a lot more,â€Â Boroujeni said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• R

RickApr 19, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Mufasa, I don’t think you understand that the senate has the power to impeach Mackee and Sandra. When the president and vice president are accused of this type of crime and then they ADMIT to it, there is only one thing left to do, which is to remove them by force because they most certainly didn’t want to resign. Mufasa, they still wanted to have more fun with your money and my money. If you want to blow your money thats fine, give it to the Mackee charity.

Ezra is running a legitimate campaign, meaning that he has not been endorsed by Mackee, which is what you were implying. As for the Ezra not showing up to the budget approval meeting, I’m sure that doesn’t mean that “he didn’t approve” of the budget. That simply means that he could of had some other difficulties in attending the meeting. This is undetermined and there may be a personal reason. Ezra may have a history of bad attendance and if so, then he should not be voted for.

Mufasa, you seem like you have EXPERIENCE and knowledge of what happens behind the closed doors of ASI meetings. Why don’t you run for office and show what you would do if you were running?

• R

RickApr 19, 2009 at 8:34 pm

MufasaApr 19, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Rick, I don’t think you understand exactly what happened. The Mackee and Sandra incident happened in the summer, and decisions and discussions about asking them to resign happened in closed session, so I don’t think you can know that Jessica did not ask them to resign.

And as far as Ezra goes, what’s legitimate about running on NOOOOOO experience? He claims he’s on the IRA committee, but I heard that he wasn’t asked back to be on the committee because he had poor attendance when he was a committee member. I also heard he didn’t approve the 2009-2010 budget that was passed by the Senate because he didn’t show up. Wow.

MufasaApr 19, 2009 at 8:15 pm

• R

RickApr 19, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Jessica is friends with Mackee. And they did work in the ASI together. She was a senator at the time Mackee was president and it was her responsibility as a senator to watch our president do responsible thing and taking care of the student funds, she did none of that. The senators sat and watched hopelessly when the whole alcohol incident happened. When most of the students were calling for Mackee Masson and Sandra Flores to resign, Jessica did NOT. If this doesn’t show how much she cares for her dear friend than I don’t know what will. Jessica did not voice the student bodies’ voice, she only supported her friend.

Ezra Payton is not running for the presidential position. He is running for VP of Finance. If Mackee does endorse Ezra, then we should be taking a stand against him too. But so far, Ezra has been running legitimate campaign.

• R

RickApr 19, 2009 at 8:07 pm

MufasaApr 19, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Why are people assuming Jessica is friends with Mackee?!?!?!?!?! Because they worked in ASI at the same time? Wow, BFD!
    I’d worry about whoever Mackee endorses in this election…Ezra Payton! Not a good sign!

MufasaApr 19, 2009 at 7:39 pm

dwApr 19, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Realistic plans?!!!

Don’t you get it. ASI has NO power. None. Nada. ASI won’t get the parking structure built. It can’t. The university administration, NOT student government, controls what gets built on campus. At most all ASI can do is “urge” the university to do it.

Why does ASI exist? To help fund various student activities. It help fund Recreation-Intramurals, the student clubs and the Childrens’ Center. It also helps out the Athletic Department financially. It has in the past given money to Madden Library to extend library hours.

New blood comes in every year starry-eyed with great ideas. Then reality sets in. They learn how little power and money ASI really has. The best thing ASI does is give students an exposure to “politics”.

Signed–A Fresno State Alumnus

dwApr 19, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Realistic plans?!!!

Signed–A Fresno State Alumnus

• Y

YESApr 19, 2009 at 11:49 am

I second Rick’s comments! It makes sense. Come on, people…he has GOOD ideas and is one of the only people with realistic plans.

• Y

YESApr 19, 2009 at 6:49 pm

• R

RickApr 19, 2009 at 11:09 am

PEDRO is running in a coalition of 10 people, Jessica Sweeten is in a coalition of 3. Jaz Kamboj is the only candidate running independent even though he could very well form a coalition with others. You guys should go to http://www.JazKamboj.com if you’d like to see a third choice.

PEDRO would be a disaster for the university if him and his coalition were elected. Some of the candidates on PEDRO are running unopposed so they will be elected without any real fight for the senate seat. PEDRO also wants to build the “bridge to nowhere” on Cedar and Barstow and not the much needed parking structure. To add to the list of problems, Tom’s wife is the women suing Fresno State after being fired.

Jessica Sweeten is just part of the old business as usual. She is still friends with Mackee Mason and probably would do anything for her dear friend. I haven’t seen any real reform in the ASI since she has been there.

Jaz Kamboj has been relatively unknown in the student body but I met the guy when he was campaigning in front of the pub. He’s an Indian guy. Kind of reminds me of Bobby Jindal.

• R

RickApr 19, 2009 at 6:09 pm

dwApr 19, 2009 at 10:04 am

This is nothing new. Every generation thinks they’re the first to do something. Political slates, or parties if you will ,have existed in ASI elections for decades.

The fact remains that ASI has very little power to change much of anything on this campus. They can attempt to influence decision making over in the corner office at Thomas Admin as “the students’ voice.” But, that’s it. Any “promises” made by any candidate or slate have to evaluated with this litmus test.

Haven’t seen any crime reports in the paper lately. There was a rape last week just off campus at or near University Village.

dwApr 19, 2009 at 5:04 pm

MufasaApr 18, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Wow! Someone posts on this website with a brain. THANK YOU BLUNDER!

MufasaApr 19, 2009 at 6:51 am

BlunderApr 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm

I just wonder this: how can Tom have ANY credibility? He married the staff member who was fired for cause, harassed students, and has been forcefully removed on many occasions by campus PD? And Hector? Hello…he has NO finance experience what-so-ever and only “appears” when his name can get in the paper.

What a joke…

BlunderApr 19, 2009 at 6:44 am

What a joke…

What the FApr 18, 2009 at 8:41 pm

What’s genuine about what they want to do? Also, what happened in the past was the past and no one involved in the legal problems are involved in ASI. Don’t punish the experienced because they happened to be in office when ASI was sued (by the way, it got settled…I wonder if there was a reason the former ASI employee didn’t take it to court…maybe there was a reason she got her ass fired.)

What the FApr 19, 2009 at 3:41 am

• R

Remember the Mackee IncidentApr 18, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Im not sticking up for anyone here but the comment made by mufasa is just as much a catch 22, you say “legally feasible” well what did our past ASI Executives get our university into?

I think a young group of hispanics (and there are other ethnicities in PEDRO), have more genuine approach to what they want to do, and will they have a hard road ahead? sure they will but it definitely cannot be and less feasible than what has happened in the past? Right?

• R

Remember the Mackee IncidentApr 19, 2009 at 2:27 am

MufasaApr 18, 2009 at 3:14 pm

PEDRO doesn’t know how ASI works–that’s evident in some of the presentations they’ve given. They also don’t understand what’s legally feasible. I really can’t stress enough how unqualified PEDRO is. They have no idea what workload they’re in for.

And Jared, I agree. I don’t understand why a group of Hispanic people would name their group “PEDRO.” Pretty racist if you ask me.

MufasaApr 18, 2009 at 10:14 pm

jared harperApr 18, 2009 at 12:23 pm

it never ceases to amaze me how we still have ethnic and racial hate on our campus….then again maybe thats why Pedro party should reform ASI, ill be voting for them

jared harperApr 18, 2009 at 7:23 pm

The Hanging BrainApr 17, 2009 at 10:09 pm

PEDRO needs its documents authenticated at the port of entry. Student elections on this campus are a joke mch like our current AS President. Then again, as long as these schmoes aren’t out to praise such nonsense as the DREAM ACT, i could care less what childish games they play with their lunch cliques.

The Hanging BrainApr 18, 2009 at 5:09 am

DumbApr 17, 2009 at 4:59 pm

PEDRO also has really bad grammar and spelling.

DumbApr 17, 2009 at 11:59 pm

DumbApr 17, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Have you seen PEDRO’s website? They want to implement practices that go against state-wide policies (Gloria Romero Act) that ALL Student Governments must adhere to.

DumbApr 17, 2009 at 4:59 pm

jared harperApr 17, 2009 at 2:29 pm

YO DUMB: i dont like how you think students must have been part of ASI to be a reformer. if current runnin mates were involved in the past, why did ASI make so many mistakes…its time for new blood new students in there.

jared harperApr 17, 2009 at 9:29 pm

DumbApr 17, 2009 at 12:26 am

I like how PEDRO wants to reform ASI and yet none of them have had involvement in ASI whatsoever…

DumbApr 17, 2009 at 7:26 am