10 candidates disqualified from 2009 ASI election

Members of P.E.D.R.O. asked to meet on Thursday with Dr. Paul Oliaro, Vice President of Student Affairs, to discuss what they believed was an unfair disqualification from the ASI election.
Bryan Cole / The Collegian
Student Court disqualifies P.E.D.R.O. Campaign group, citing three minor campaign violations during election

Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) is in the midst of controversy once again.

On Thursday morning, the ASI student court released information that ten candidates had officially been disqualified from the 2009 ASI elections.

All of the candidates that received notification of disqualification are members of the campaigning group known as Party for Education, Direct Reform and Objectives (P.E.D.R.O.).

According to election codes, three minor violations by any candidate will or one major violation can result in automatic disqualification based on the decisions of the student court. P.E.D.R.O.̢۪s disqualification came after three minor violations, outlined in section three of the election code, a move that P.E.D.R.O. members called unfair on Thursday afternoon.

“If this doesn’t get resolved we will take action through the California court system and sue the university,â€Â said Tom Boroujeni, who claims his group has been discriminated against since the beginning of campaigning. “They aren’t getting rid of us this easily.â€Â

Because all ten candidates were campaigning on a slate together, and all three of the minor violations involved flyers or pamphlets with each person̢۪s name, they all were taken out of the running.

Members of P.E.D.R.O. staged a small protest Thursday afternoon outside of the Joyal Administration office. P.E.D.R.O. members believed they had been unfairly disqualified from the 2009 ASI election, a decision that the Student Court announced earlier on Thursday morning. Explaining the Court̢۪s decision, Chief Justice Joseph Martin said, 'The sentiment of the court is to follow the election code.'
Bryan Cole / The Collegian

“This is one of the first times at Fresno State where students have organized together as groups for the election,â€Â said Pedro Ramirez, who was running for a senator at-large position. “We are just trying to keep level-headed right now.â€Â

P.E.D.R.O. received its first notification of being in violation of election codes when posters were found placed in a restricted area.

Boroujeni said that immediately after receiving the call, he and other members on his slate took the posters from the walls. However, he said that the next day the posters were back up in the same spots and that no one in his group re-posted them. “It just smells like sabotage to me,â€Â Boroujeni said.

The second violation came again for having posters in illegal areas, and the third violation for P.E.D.R.O. group came when they were found by the student court to be campaigning within 100 feet of a polling station.

Cole Rojewski, who is the campaign manager for Students Who Deserve More, said that he took a picture of the illegal campaigning and cited it to the Elections Committee.

Rojewski̢۪s pictures show John Thompson, a write-in candidate for senator of science and mathematics, with two students.

“I have multiple witnesses who saw [Thompson] within one hundred feet of the polling station handing out handbills,â€Â Rojewski said.

In addition, within feet of where Thompson and the two students were walking there was a flyer on the ground endorsing P.E.D.R.O.

Thompson said he was walking with two friends after his philosophy class, having a casual conversation and that he was not campaigning.

Rojewski reported this to the Elections Committee stating that the flyer was within the 100-foot restriction; however, P.E.D.R.O. said that they measured the distance between the flyer and election station at 133 feet.

The student court, under the authority of Chief Justice Joseph Martin, disqualified all the candidates.

Martin told The Collegian that even after disqualifying P.E.D.R.O., the campaign group had four violation charges the court had not yet reviewed.

“The election code clearly states what all students are to abide by when they are running for office — P.E.D.R.O. did not do it,â€Â Martin said.

As a result of the controversy, P.E.D.R.O. staged a small protest outside the Joyal Administration Building while waiting to meet with Vice President of Student Affairs Dr. Paul Oliaro.

In the meeting Oliaro made clear to P.E.D.R.O. members that it takes 14 days for election results to be finalized.

Thus, P.E.D.R.O. is planning to appeal the student court’s decision and do whatever it takes to bring back what they deem to be “justice.â€Â

In the meantime, some of those that have currently been elected for next year̢۪s ASI believe that the decision is justified and fair punishment.

“If the decision is overturned then it is unfair,â€Â said Lauren Johnson, who was re-elected to her position as vice president of finance as the candidate from the For Students Who Deserve More campaign group. “If that happens they will have gained a significant advantage over those of us who abided by the rules,â€Â she said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• K

Karl MarxApr 28, 2009 at 9:50 pm

This sets a good precedent for the future. Be careful who you run with, and don’t try to form coalitions…

Has Tom ever claimed to be a vampire? And Hector, has he ever claimed to be a pony?

• K

Karl MarxApr 29, 2009 at 4:50 am

• H

hgApr 26, 2009 at 1:15 pm

P.E.D.R.O violated the election code, plain and simple. They need to stop making excuses for themselves and face the fact that they were wrong. Even without the disqualification, Tom and Hector did not receive enough votes to win. By campaigning together, they should know that they must take the wins and losses as a group. Even if only a handful of them violated the election code, it gave all of the slate an unfair advantage in the election.

• H

hgApr 26, 2009 at 8:15 pm

• P

PEDRO JOKEApr 26, 2009 at 11:12 am

Charissa, are you saying that someone that you where so kind to and let them vote on your computer, went through all the trouble of going and writing a complaint? And how do you know that person said they where voting for you? You must have asked the person before you gave them you’re computer right?? You are not really good at arguing your case

Also, 7 out of 10? 3 of those had no competition including the notable 18 vote getter John Thompson. You all couldnt find at least one friend to vote for him? I would want a refund.
    The other 4 where for at- large senators where people just fill in who they know and whatever other names seem appealing so not only did PEDRO cheat, they’re not even good at it.

“Hey Pedro Joke” that was a joke because Hector is like 40. Sarcasm my friend.

• P

PEDRO JOKEApr 26, 2009 at 6:12 pm

dwApr 26, 2009 at 10:59 am

Because as corrupt as ASI has been, the campaigning process is equally so. Over the years, Insightful, dirty tricks have abounded. I’m not saying P.E.D.R.O.’s skirts aren’t dirty, but I wouldn’t be shocked to find out the other side engaged in dirty play to ensure they won.

dwApr 26, 2009 at 5:59 pm

• I

InsightfulApr 26, 2009 at 10:37 am

Then why would he report that situation as such? I call BS, Charissa.

• I

InsightfulApr 26, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Charissa ThompsonApr 25, 2009 at 2:55 pm

The statement that I denied one person his vote is untrue. The same person said that he would vote for me. Whether he did or not, I don’t know. I do know that he voted. I am not arguing my case here, but just letting you know what happened.

Charissa ThompsonApr 25, 2009 at 9:55 pm

BlunderApr 25, 2009 at 2:05 pm

So sad, Charissa…oh wait, it was you who would take away your computer if they DIDNT VOTE FOR YOU. Yea, thats fair, right? Wake up, smell the coffee, and go away. We dont need more crazies like you.

BlunderApr 25, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Charissa ThompsonApr 25, 2009 at 1:35 pm

As a write-in candidate, I was not sent the e-mail regarding the last-minute rule about the computers. When I saw Tom later on Tuesday, he informed me that I could not use it, having assumed that I had received the e-mail along with everyone else. After this time, no one voted on my computer.

Charissa ThompsonApr 25, 2009 at 8:35 pm

• H

Hey PEDRO JOKEApr 25, 2009 at 9:58 am

Hey PEDRO JOKE….

In regards to your comment:
    “Hector has been protesting FS since 1992, when he was a freshman.”

Where do you get such historical evidence? do you have proof that he was protesting Fresno State since 1992 as a freshman? Because i agree with you…such students should be reprimanded for thier actions against FS

• H

Hey PEDRO JOKEApr 25, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Hey PEDRO JOKE….

In regards to your comment:

• E

E.Apr 24, 2009 at 11:56 pm

ok.. So I’ve been reading everything that people have to say… and I agree with what some people have to say, those people who know what they are talking about.. For those people that are just commenting because they have something against 2 out of the 10 people that were on this slate, you should really think about how you are handling the situation, and stop acting like little kids picking a fight. In response to Pop’s comment, I want to let you know that the reason, at least my reason for not voicing my opinions at Charissa’s hearing was because I was not notified, like most of the people in PEDRO. So it’s not all of a sudden because we all got disqualified that we are “throwing a fit”. I personally didn’t find out about any of this till after we all got disqualified. Which is exactly what I am fight for, even though I didn’t win, I still feel it was unfair what was done and how things were done.
    and as for PEDRO Joke, you don’t even know what you’re talking about, yes Tom and Hector did not get in, but the rest of the people on the slate, excluding me, would of gotten in if it wasn’t for all of this going on. So now we didn’t get our asses whoops, 7 out of 10 doesn’t look like that at all.

• E

E.Apr 25, 2009 at 6:56 am

dwApr 24, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Frankly, this is NO big deal!

It seems like every other year, a candidate or candidates get caught violating the Election Code bad enough that he/she/they end up disqualified. The alibis are always the same: “someone else put the sign/flyer there” or “it wasn’t near that polling place.” Each time this has happened, threats of lawsuit get aired and at the end of the day, nothing happens. Why? Because there’s nothing to file a lawsuit about.

Some side notes: The Collegian reported in another story that candidates had ran in groups. Not so. “Slates” or “parties” have existed in ASI elections for many years. There have been efforts to end the practice.

Some nimrod said something about ASI giving Dr. Welty a raise. ASI has nothing to do with administration, faculty or staff pay. Those are set by the Board of Trustees in Long Beach. In short: ASI exists to be the voice of students and pass out a piddling amount of money every year to the clubs and groups that serve the students. It really doesn’t “govern” the campus.

People should be asking, “why do we even have this organization? It serves no useful purpose.”

dwApr 24, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Frankly, this is NO big deal!

• P

PEDRO JOKEApr 24, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I for one am so happy that PEDRO got disqualified. I was really worried that students would not see through their garbage. Amy, you chose to run with them so you should take the punishment that comes with it. Plus there is still 4 other violations against your group, its sad that 8 people were brainwashed into running with these imbeciles, but it shows bad judgment on their parts.
    The funniest thing is they cheated and still got there ass whooped! SAD!

Now, of course, the sore losers protest and threaten lawsuits, right out of their handbooks. Hector has been protesting FS since 1992, when he was a freshman. Tom will sue you if you look at him funny. See, when Annie got fired, Tom and her went to all of the media outlets and said the magic words in Fresno “Fresno State Lawsuit” and it worked. A little bit. They still got next to nothing.
    He’s trying to use it again but its like the boy who cried wolf, I should I say the boy who cried cougar?

• P

PEDRO JOKEApr 24, 2009 at 8:45 pm

• P

PopApr 24, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Actually Students Who Deserve more did receive a violation for a poster they claimed they did not place on a restricted board. Regardless, the Student Court ruled that it still remains Student Who Deserve More’s property and thus they are held responsible for its illegal placement (you can see documentation of that violation on the ASI Board in the 3rd floor of the USU).

With that said, I do not think the allegations brought against PEDRO were unreasonable or unfair. What’s unfair is the significant amount of cheating that occurred, particularly by Charissa Thompson, that was on behalf of the entire PEDRO slate. Thus it was a violation on all of the candidates. It’s funny because none of the PEDRO slate voiced problems with taking the collective hit for the minor violations, but once they were all collectively disqualified, they decide to throw a fit. Makes it harder to clear up later.

Tom and Hector were nowhere near winning, though. Maybe students began seeing what kind of nutjobs those fools are.

• P

PopApr 24, 2009 at 8:12 pm

student JPApr 24, 2009 at 12:34 pm

dont worry about it amy you guys have been through alot this week, I was a student voter and although i did not vote for PEDRO ive heard about the allegations that were brought against you guys and i did feel that they seemed to handled in away that was not to what I think the standards of fresno state should hold. anyways i voted for jessica and lauren, i know they will continue to do a good job but i do hope that they will stand up to what i consider unfair treatment to those students who were not involved in those violations. GOOD LUCK!

student JPApr 24, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Amy WilsonApr 24, 2009 at 12:25 pm

okay you know what i made a mistake about the name of the other organization that was running and i and i suppose that is evident i had another group in mind that im writing a paper about, so thats my bad, i meant to reference the group with which the other candidates were running. But my point doesn’t change… so silly thought my mistake may have been i fessing up to it.

Amy WilsonApr 24, 2009 at 7:25 pm

• I

I want the moneyyyyy!Apr 24, 2009 at 12:21 pm

“If this doesn’t get resolved we will take action through the California court system and sue the university,â€Â said Tom Boroujeni

How surprising, he wants to sue now.

• I

I want the moneyyyyy!Apr 24, 2009 at 7:21 pm

“If this doesn’t get resolved we will take action through the California court system and sue the university,” said Tom Boroujeni

How surprising, he wants to sue now.

• L

LOLApr 24, 2009 at 12:05 pm

what is TEA?

• L

LOLApr 24, 2009 at 7:05 pm

what is TEA?

Amy WilsonApr 24, 2009 at 11:52 am

Yes PANA one that is just ONE of the violations, and the other violations are equally questionable. About the comment made by Lauren Johnson, about how TEA followed the “rules”, TEA had an incident where they were going to receive a violation but the court “took their word” that they hadn’t committed the violation. Where is that trust for P.E.D.R.O? I believe we were treated unfairly. Why does the word of the members campaigning with in the group TEA weigh more than that of the individual members that campaigned within P.E.D.R.O? further more two of those allegations were person specific and questionable at best and should not be held against those of us who were not involved. I won my seat as a senator and I believe my votes should be honored!

Lauren Johnson, who was re-elected to her position as vice president of finance as the candidate from the For Students Who Deserve More campaign group. “If that happens they will have gained a significant advantage over those of us who abided by the rules,â€Â she said.

Amy WilsonApr 24, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Lauren Johnson, who was re-elected to her position as vice president of finance as the candidate from the For Students Who Deserve More campaign group. “If that happens they will have gained a significant advantage over those of us who abided by the rules,” she said.

• P

panaApr 24, 2009 at 10:46 am

Again, that is only ONE of the violations and FOUR are sill out there.

• P

panaApr 24, 2009 at 5:46 pm

count my vote!Apr 24, 2009 at 10:42 am

this is awful. a flyer on the ground obviously was not PLACED there, and these candidates gained a lot of rightful support from the Fresno State students – as students we should be appalled that our vote doesn’t count!!

count my vote!Apr 24, 2009 at 5:42 pm

all things consideredApr 24, 2009 at 9:41 am

wow ACLU will love this.

all things consideredApr 24, 2009 at 4:41 pm

wow ACLU will love this.

• L

LOLApr 24, 2009 at 9:05 am

About damn time. Serves them right.

• L

LOLApr 24, 2009 at 4:05 pm

About damn time. Serves them right.