Winning streak continues for ̢۪Dogs

Matt Weir / Collegian File Photo
Bulldogs win five games in five days, the only undefeated team in tourney

While the newcomers to the Fresno State baseball team are proving they belong, the veterans are continuing their consistent play at the 31st annual Pepsi/Johnny Quik Classic at Beiden field.

Today is the fifth day of the tournament and the Bulldogs will host Cal State Bakersfield (CSUB) with a game scheduled for 6:05 p.m.

As of Thursday, the Bulldogs were on a six-game winning streak and will play their final game of the tournament tomorrow against Buffalo, a team the ̢۪Dogs have defeated twice by margins of three and 18 runs.

The ̢۪Dogs will play their final game of the six-day tournament tomorrow against Buffalo.

Tuesday game no contest

In Tuesday̢۪s game against the Roadrunners, Fresno State had 12 hits en route to a 16-1 victory.

Freshman Derek Benny recorded his first collegiate win, going five innings allowing seven hits and one run on the night. Sean Bonesteele came in to pitch one inning of relief and was followed by Matt Morse who closed the game in the final three innings allowing just two hits.

“We are excited to see our freshman pitching with confidence,â€Â said Batesole in a press release following the game. “We expect them to continue to get innings and steadily improve.â€Â

CSUB was first to get on the board to take an early 1-0 lead, but after that it was all Bulldogs. In the bottom of the first, Kenny Wise hit a two-run single to center and Steve Detwiler stole home to gain a 3-1 advantage.

With the ̢۪Dogs up 5-1 in the bottom of the fifth, Alan Ahmady hit a triple to drive home sophomore Danny Muno and senior Gavin Hedstrom to push the lead to 7-1.

A two-run homer by freshman Dusty Robinson and a solo homerun by Tom Mendonca, gave Fresno an 11-1 lead.

Sophomore Jordan Ribera kicked off the ̢۪Dogs most productive offensive inning adding to the homerun spree with a two-run homer making it a 12 run game in the eighth. Fresno scored five runs and three hits in the inning. Freshman Ryan Allgrove doubled to left center to bring home Dane McLaughlin and Jake Johnson to cap the game for the Bulldogs.

“We are taking more patient, team-oriented at-bats,â€Â Batesole said. “Early, we were trying to do a little too much, which is not unusual. These kids want to win. Now we are settling in a bit offensively.â€Â

‘Dogs fight for Wednesday’s game

Wednesday̢۪s game was a little closer, however, the ̢۪Dogs came out on top 7-5 against Buffalo.

With two outs in the ninth and Ahmady on first after a single, Mendonca finalized the win with a two-run homer. Mendonca̢۪s homerun is his 34th in his career; nine more and he will be tied for the most career homeruns in Fresno State history.

The game with Buffalo was close from the beginning.

The Bulls scored first when Brad Augstin hit a homerun, but the ̢۪Dogs came back in the bottom of the third when Hedstrom̢۪s sacrifice fly brought home Trent Garrison to tie the game at 1-1.

Buffalo added another run in fifth, but Fresno responded again with two runs in the inning. Muno hit a triple to score Brennan Gowens, and Ahmady singled to bring Muno home and take a 3-2 lead.

With the game tied at 3-3 in the bottom of the seventh, it was again Muno and Ahmady providing the consistent offensive spark to get the ̢۪Dogs back up. After Muno singled and Hedstrom reached first on a fielding error, Ahmady singled up the middle to score Muno.

Mendonca then grounded out, and Detwiler came to the plate and singled allowing Hedstrom to cross the plate and give the Bulldogs a 5-3 lead.

But the lead was quickly cut down, and it became a 5-5 tie game once again.

Taylor Garrison earned the win, going five innings and allowing four hits and two runs. Garrison was the third straight freshman to start and pitch a win for the ̢۪Dogs.

Games showcase freshmen

Garrison, Benny and Josh Poytress were the three freshmen that made solid performances in their debuts as Bulldogs.

“How about three freshmen in three days getting starts,â€Â Batesole said. “All getting through five innings, the first two, Poytress and Benny, get wins and Garrison leaves in a position to win today. That bodes well for our future and they are all throwing strikes.â€Â

The wins against CSUB and Buffalo helped improve the Bulldogs record to 8-4. Fresno State is the only undefeated team in the tournament.

Results for the Portland game will be online later today.