Trips to Mexico discouraged

With spring break coming up April 6-10, students may want to reconsider plans to go south of the border. The U.S. State Department has issued a travel alert warning against traveling to U.S.-Mexico border towns due to an increase in crime and violence.

The alert, issued Feb. 20 and listed as active, read in part, “Robberies, homicides, petty thefts, and carjackings have all increased over the last year across Mexico generally, with notable spikes in Tijuana and northern Baja California. Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana and Nogales are among the cities which have recently experienced public shootouts during daylight hours in shopping centers and other public venues. Criminals have followed and harassed U.S. citizens traveling in their vehicles in border areas including Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, and Tijuana.”

The report said that in Ciudad Juarez alone, more than 1,800 people have been killed since Jan. 2008. To read the full text of the report, click here.

While Fresno State does not typically issue travel advisories for students, Student Affairs Vice President Paul M. Oliaro and Associated Students, Inc. President Graham Wahlberg said there is increasing concern about potential danger and they want students to be aware of it.

“The last thing I want is for my fellow students to be in dangerous situations during spring break,â€Â said Wahlberg.

Several universities across the country have also issued advisories.

Oliaro said Fresno State students are being encouraged to consider participating in a community-service project instead of traveling during.

Chris Fiorentino, director of the Jan and Bud Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service-Learning, said an informational event March 25 will include service opportunities available during spring break. One opportunity, called Alternative Spring Break, will involve a small group of students in a series of organized service activities during the week off.

$100
$500

$100
$500

World TravelerMar 17, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I think it is important to point out that the authorities are doing what the US pushes beyond their borders… these drug related crimes are a share responsibility with the US (we are the main consumers and we are the ones providing guns to gangs)
    The fact that they have reinforced security in spring break destinations it is an answer of their commitment to the travelers and they want them to feel safe. This war is happening in very specific areas and no tourists have been targeted. Most of the terrible news we hear during spring break are because of thoughtless actions by spring breakers.

World TravelerMar 17, 2009 at 7:53 pm

• R

Rapping TomatoMar 16, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Half of Mexico—and a good portion of that country’s criminal population already has some form of status in this country—–Border Crossing Card, relative Visa, fraudulent green card—-If you live in California, you’re already in danger everyday of your life. And have you ever seen Mexican authorities tracking entry into Mexico from the U.S.? How many criminals realize this and elude U.S. law enforcement when looking for a quick escape?

• R

Rapping TomatoMar 17, 2009 at 2:38 am