Sigma Nu claims fifth consecutive Kids Day victory

Although overall Kids Day sales were down this year, Fresno State̢۪s sales were up by more than $4,000. The campus organizations that sold the most were fraternities.

In total, Kids Day raised $422,600 for Children̢۪s Hospital Central California. Although meeting this year̢۪s goal, sales were down from last year̢۪s record sales that brought in $470,514 for the hospital.

Fresno State groups contributed $29,626 to the cause this year.

The Jan and Bud Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service Learning, who, along with a 12-student volunteer committee, organized Fresno State̢۪s participation in the event, will recognize the two top-selling groups with 20 or more members and the two top-selling groups with 19 members or less.

All four of these groups are campus fraternities.

Brothers in fundraising

Sigma Nu, a social fraternity, has been the top seller for the past four years.

This year marked its fifth year selling more papers than any other campus organization. Enrique Rodriguez, a member of the fraternity and the Kids Day committee, said, “We are stoked. I am not going to know what it is like to lose,â€Â he said.

“There is more pressure to sell each year because other groups are getting closer. That’s good for what this is about because there is more money to help more kids.â€Â

Pi Kappa Alpha, another social fraternity, also had 40 members selling papers on Tuesday morning.

The fraternity came in second place bringing in $2,203. When asked his strategy for selling papers, fraternity member Zachary Boatright said, “Well, I had a really loud whistle. We just tried to be really energetic and have fun. I think that alone motivated people to donate.â€Â

Phi Omega Alpha, a fraternity for criminal justice students, was the top-selling group with 19 or fewer people, bringing in $1,471. Social fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon came in right behind with sales of $1,470.

Recognition secondary to service

Renee Delport, special events coordinator for the Richter Center, said these groups will receive letters of recognition and will be invited to the celebration lunch put on by Children̢۪s Hospital.

They will also be invited to the Service Recognition Reception held at Dr. Welty̢۪s home at the end of the semester.

“We hold the competition but really the reasons for participating are selfless,â€Â Delport said.

While the Richter Center saw many groups band together to help a good cause, Delport said individuals also stepped up to rally around the community.

“One guy picked up two 50-pound stacks of papers on his bike, rode out to Herndon and West, and sold,â€Â she said.

“I don’t know what motivates them, but it was a great, great day for Fresno State.â€Â