Parking renovations could raise fees

Student parking passes may go from $68 per semester to $136

A proposed parking structure on the west end of campus will increase parking permit fees, once the structure opens in 2012.

Correction: The March 25 story “Parking renovations could raise feesâ€Â incorrectly stated the price of a year-round pass. The price could go up to $272 for the Fall /Spring pass when it opens in 2012.

Although raising the price of the parking pass might not pertain to most of the current student body, it is our feedback that is being taken into consideration.

Students have been asked to let their voices be heard by taking an online survey or attending one of three focus groups regarding the master plan.

“The focus group and online survey are some of the components of the alternative consultation process that we are doing this semester,â€Â Administrative Project Coordinator Tom Gaffery said.

Students’ opinions sought, administration has final say

If the master plan doesn̢۪t sound familiar, you̢۪re not alone.

The master plan is a proposition to build a university campus that supports the new California.

The projects will make optimal use to accommodate growth and improve pedestrian circulation through new roadways and parking structures. Surely, this plan for excellence wouldn̢۪t be possible without resources.

The only revenue for parking is the revenue that it makes itself. For that reason parking permit fees are the only source of income that can be used to build the structure.

The Campus Fee Advisory Committee has been presenting “alternative consultationsâ€Â to clubs and organizations. However, according to CSU Executive Order 740, it is required that the president may alter certain fees and “is responsible for assuring that appropriate consultation occurs prior to adjusting any fee.â€Â

“The online survey and focus groups are not being used to determine if the structure will be built,â€Â social work graduate Hector Cerda said. “The administrators of this campus already have a predestined outcome and are falsely using data collection from students to justify the green light to build a parking structure.â€Â

But administrator Cynthia Teniente-Matson said that student input does play a role in the decision, even if the university president has the final say.

“The Campus Fee Advisory Committee reviews student input and makes a recommendation to the president who will ultimately make the final decision,â€Â Teniente-Matson said.

However, if the majority of the students were against the master plan, the president could still vow to go forward with construction with the chancellor̢۪s consent.

The president will review the information by the end of this semester.

Barstow structure would add 970 spaces

If the parking structure isn̢۪t built, the campus would likely run out of parking by 2015, there could be student restrictions on bringing cars to campus and vehicular congestion will increase according to a flyer issued by Administrative Services.

Nevertheless, “it could also be a solution for the next 25 years,â€Â Teniente-Matson said.

Additional student parking on the west end of campus could improve traffic circulation and enhance access off Barstow Ave.

Lots A and J, K and L and the Save Mart Center are all potential sites for the new parking structure.

Reports from a traffic planner indicated that Barstow Ave. at Cedar Ave. is the busiest crossroad with 30 percent of all vehicles driving through the intersection daily.

A student parking consultation video showed a simulation of the parking structure on Barstow Ave. and Campus Drive. The three level infrastructure will contain approximately 1300 stalls which would create a net gain of 970 student parking spaces.

Fresno State’s parking not comparable to other CSUs

According to Gaffery, if the parking structure is approved, a semester parking permit would cost $136 which would in return raise the fall 2009/spring 2010 pass to $272. All parking fees are not subject to change until after the structure is complete.

A comparison to campuses of similar size was made to validate the inflation. CSU Northridge $162, CSU Fullerton $162 and CSU Sacramento $153.

“Administrators consistently made the argument that our campus needs to be like other campuses that charge more for their parking fees,â€Â Cerda said. “Comparing our campus to others is unjust because the average student income and poverty levels for the counties that other CSU’s serve haven’t been taken into consideration.â€Â

“If we are being compared to other schools, why don’t we have a 24-hour library like Sac State?,â€Â Cerda said.

Certainly nothing is finalized, yet.

Today at 2:30 p.m. in USU room 309 will be the last focus group regarding the master plan.

Give your feedback and get your free gift for attending while supplies last.

$100
$500

$100
$500

juniorMar 26, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Boy am I glad I’m gettin out of here

juniorMar 27, 2009 at 2:04 am

Boy am I glad I’m gettin out of here

• N

Name (required)Mar 26, 2009 at 4:22 pm

So who is Cerda bribing or sleeping with in the collegian? There are thousand of students on campus, and yet he always seems to show up on the pages of the collegian. Are you having trouble finding people to interview?

• N

Name (required)Mar 26, 2009 at 11:22 pm

wackoMar 26, 2009 at 8:44 am

Does it really matter to any students graduating before then. Nope. It wont help us any right now, especially if it’s going to take 20 years to come to fruition.

wackoMar 26, 2009 at 3:44 pm