One-finger salute

Culled each week from discussions in The Collegian newsroom.

Thumbs up
Fresno State Women̢۪s basketball team

Major kudos to the team for its WAC championship win against Nevada this past Saturday. Our Bulldogs are now headed to the NCAA Tournament for the second straight year.

Thumbs down
St. Patty̢۪s on a Tuesday

Having a major drinking holiday—that’s completely void of any cultural meaning—at the beginning of the week, almost ruins all party plans. And while we’re on a green bashing roll, thumbs down to green poop, it’s just unhealthy.

Thumbs up
Fresno State Baseball team

Fresno was cheering all week long with the team̢۪s 5-1 record in the 2009 Pepsi/Johnny Quik Classic Tournament. The champs outscored the competition 65-12 and finished things off right with a 20-0 win over Buffalo this past Saturday.

Thumbs down
Confusing weather

Cold in the morning, hot in the afternoon and chilled at night. How are we supposed to figure out what to wear?!

Thumbs up
San Joaquin Valley Colorguard and Percussion Review

The talent of the Valley̢۪s youth was very nicely displayed at the Review̢۪s performance on Friday. All of the performances were very impressive, particularly the badass drumlines from Clovis West and Homestead, who tied for first in the World Class Competition.

Thumbs down
Wal-Mart

While some of us questioned the mammoth retailer’s move to open ‘Supermercado de Wal-Mart,’ a supermarket targeting Hispanic consumers, we all disliked the store’s ability to consistently draw people giving off extremely offensive smells.