Nine mystical tales

Photo Illustration by Bryan Cole / The Collegian
Tragedy to comedy, ‘Tales of Ovid’ has it all

Narcissus was a handsome young man who was desired and loved by all. One day, as he bent down to drink from a pool of water, he caught a glimpse of himself and fell in love. When he realized it was his own reflection he was in love with, he killed himself out of despair. He was sent to the darkest part of hell and a flower, that we now call Narcissus, grew where he perished.

This particular story is widely known, but what some might not know is the story goes beyond egotism. Narcissus̢۪s character flaw had ramifications for someone other than himself.

He had a lover, but was too proud to offer his love in return. His rejection turned her into a wisp. She shriveled up, until the only thing left was her voice, which became her name — Echo.

This story and eight others come alive in “Tales from Ovid,â€Â a theater arts production opening Friday, that focuses on some of humanity’s timeless tales. While Ovid’s original stories were written around the time of Christ’s birth, Ruth Griffin, who teaches theater and dance, directs a unique rendition of Ted Hughes’s 1997 translation.

In the production, acting and dancing bleed together and words, music and movement become one. On the mystical blue set, humans are transformed into trees and ponds and one̢۪s imagination is left to run wild.

“You’re not just a spectator. You are an active participant in the story-making,â€Â Griffin said.

Audience involvement key

The production is unique in that it seamlessly meshes 13 actors, eight dancers and two musicians together to create dreamy and dramatic storylines.

“This is physical theater,â€Â Griffin said. “It integrates body gestures with [words]. The two are equal.â€Â

The actors and dancers are theater arts majors with options in acting or dance. The dancers are also members of Griffin̢۪s Portable Dance Troupe, an educational based dance group in the dance department.

Griffin added that singing, puppetry, lighting and projection are just some of the elements that compliment the acting and dancing.

“The language tells you what’s happening, the dancing shows you, but the audience really creates it,â€Â Griffin said.

An example? At one point, a character transforms into a tree and the dancers encircle the actor.

“It doesn’t look like a real tree, but inside your imagination you collaborate the image,â€Â Griffin said.

Timeless themes

Mallory Frost, a junior dance major performing in “Tales from Ovid,â€Â said, “The dancing brings the visual aspect of what the actors are saying to life.â€Â

Although stimulating to the eyes and ears, the tales speak to the deep mind and address burning issues of human reality that are just as relevant today as they were 2,000 years ago, Griffin said. Opposing forces of nature and human existence is the underlying backdrop for the entire production.

The original stories were drawn from Ovid’s “Metamorphosis,â€Â and this theme runs through each of the nine tales. “The stories are deeply psychological,â€Â Griffin said.

The play creatively addresses cultural taboos and intertwines tragedy with comedy, producing cautionary tales of hubris, vanity and humanistic tales of love and pride.

Griffin said the play focuses on the unity of opposites in the world and the act of balancing them. The stories address men and women, day and night, love and hate, chaos and order and life and death. She said the stories, which are all about young adults, are also violent and sexually charged.

Vanessa Pereda, a senior acting major, plays multiple roles in the play.

“I think the play appeals to everyone in some way,â€Â Pereda said. “There is just a magic to seeing it all come together on stage.â€Â

Tales from Ovid

The “Tales from Ovidâ€Â starts March 27 and runs through April 4. All performances are in the Dennis and Cheryl Woods Theatre in the Speech Arts building. Tuesday through Saturday performances start at 8 p.m. and Sunday performances start at 2 p.m. Student tickets are $10 with ID.