National title brings new issues to Beiden Field

Matt Weir / The Collegian
Fresno State̢۪s baseball team has attracted more fans and their cameras

The 2008 NCAA National Champion Fresno State baseball team drew more fans opening week than in the past. The new baseball fans this season may not know about the policy regarding flash photography at Beiden Field.

Flash photography is not allowed at Beiden Field or most other sporting events at California State University, Fresno. Pictures can still be taken, but the flash must be off.

According to an e-mail from Nate Wills, director of events at Fresno State, “The athletics’ department policy for Beiden Field and Bulldog Diamond is no flash photography due to the distraction and potential safety hazard it creates for our student athletes.â€Â

Fans see distraction from lights bouncing off of the players̢۪ helmets and aluminum bats. 98 light fixtures on eight towers surround Beiden Field to allow for night games.

Jason Pirtle, event and facilities coordinator, said, “The flash makes it harder to see the small white ball.â€Â

Regulations difficult to find, enforce

This policy can be hard to find. It is not on the back of a ticket to a baseball game, nor on the red sign just outside the entrance. Before the game starts and the public address announcer tells fans all the rules of the stadium, but fails to mention the policy on flash photography.

At last Tuesday̢۪s baseball game, the public address announcer finally told fans by the fourth inning that no flash photography was allowed.

Around the same time, Carolyn Odums, usher supervisor, used her hands to show the clicking of a camera to another usher that a fan used flash photography. Odums works as an usher at baseball, football and soccer games.

“Flash photography is harder to regulate at football games,â€Â Odums said.

Difference between football, baseball games

Fans sit further away from the field of play at football games than they are at baseball games.

“Football fans don’t interfere with the game as much because they are not as close to the field as baseball fans are,â€Â Odums said.

The amount of fans at a baseball game is much smaller than at football games. Bulldog Stadium hold 41, 031 seats while Beiden Field only holds 3,575 seats.

“Baseball fans are less rowdy than football fans and tend to stop using flash when asked,â€Â Odums said.

The National Championship title draws more fans, but the regulars know the rules. “Most fans who attend know that no flash is allowed,â€Â Odums said.

New baseball fans, don’t worry. Your camera is safe. Odums will not take your camera if she sees you using flash. “We ask fans to stop using flash because it disrupts the players,â€Â Odums said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

JohnMar 24, 2009 at 11:38 pm

Once the game starts they shold lock all the gates at Beiden Field so that no one can leave until the game is over. For that matter, also do that at Bulldog Stadium. The idiots that come to the games late and then leave early are revolting.

JohnMar 25, 2009 at 6:38 am

• N

Nicole ViscovichMar 19, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Being a preformer and athlete I can see the potential problems, but for outdoor activities it seems to be a waste of staff time to make such rules, not to mention the money spent to inforce these rules. The only real way to ban such a thing is to not alllow cameras period.

• N

Nicole ViscovichMar 20, 2009 at 4:35 am

Constance Prince-BrookerMar 19, 2009 at 7:55 pm

It was a truly wonderful article by a truly talented writer

Constance Prince-BrookerMar 20, 2009 at 2:55 am

• L

Lisa MeadowsMar 17, 2009 at 1:07 am

I don’t really care about the subject but the article was beautifully written.

• L

Lisa MeadowsMar 17, 2009 at 8:07 am

Jaws ChestnutMar 15, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Yeah, kind of bigger fish to fry

Jaws ChestnutMar 16, 2009 at 6:57 am

Yeah, kind of bigger fish to fry

AaronMar 15, 2009 at 12:30 am

Who cares? I mean seriously. Does anyone really care? A much better article could be written on the losers who leave the game before it is over. Why the hell do you even bother to show up if you come late and then leave early from the game? Just plain stupid.

AaronMar 15, 2009 at 7:30 am

Tonkein Res.Mar 13, 2009 at 7:05 pm

nonsense, you can’t ban flash photography at an outdoor sporting event. Indoor maybe, but there is no reason to impose an outdoor ban on baseball flash photography. They tried to school me at a San Jose State-Fresno State basketball game over in the bay two months ago and I just turned off my camera without complaint.

Tonkein Res.Mar 14, 2009 at 2:05 am