Living through siblings

The grass has been cut, the dirt has been raked, dugouts cleaned out and the fence has been put up. Ladies and gentlemen spring has arrived and it̢۪s little league time.

Little league baseball; a chance for kids ages twelve and under to compete in America̢۪s number one past time.

Little league also brings other opportunities, such as an opportunity to grab a ballpark dog and catch a game, or play on a winning team with hopes of making it to the tournament of champions, a chance for over zealous parents to get into it with other over zealous parents, coaches and umpires.

But what little league means to me is a chance to relive my childhood dreams through my younger brother.

I have many memories from when I was in little league, but unfortunately that is all I have.

Growing up I wasn̢۪t the best player on the team, but I was a competitor. As years past me by I watched my baseball talent peak, while others continued to grow and went on to play high school and college ball.

Now the closest I get to reliving my dreams is slow pitch softball on an intramural team. That is, until little league comes around.

I remember playing little league and watching my infant younger brother watch me from the stands, and when I say watch me, I mean run around the park and drive my parents crazy.

Although I never realized how close he was actually watching.

Nowadays that same infant is almost 12 years old and is making little league dreams of his own come true.

I can see his desire to impress me by the way he wants me to see him play. And every time I do, I can notice how he gives more than the usual 100 percent.

And that is when I relive my little league days through him.

I remember walking up to bat and seeing my whole family in the stands cheering, but what really got me excited was my older brother and dad standing behind the backstop giving me encouragement while I took my at bat.

I understand my younger brother̢۪s desire to impress, because hearing those words of encouragement while I was playing little league made it more than just a game.

And when I say I live my little league dreams through my younger brother, I mean that he is doing things that I look back on and say, “man I really wish that could’ve been me.â€Â

It brings a tear to my eye thinking about how good he has become since he was hitting the ball off a tee, not because it makes me sad, but because I am so proud of him and how he has become a better little-leaguer than I ever was. He is what the professionals like to call a “franchise player.â€Â

So for those of you that could use a “feel good moment,â€Â I would suggest attending a younger sibling’s little league game, because there is nothing like seeing a sibling reliving some of your best childhood memories.