Letter to the editor: Getting the ‘wrong message’

Getting the ‘wrong message’

I was actually one of the cast members of this year‘s Vagina Monologues [and when] I read the article “The anger of the V-spots,â€Â [I] realized very quickly, that Daniela Lopez did not understand what the Angry Vagina was talking about, for the most part at least.

She never said that using any type of perfume for your body was bad, she merely stated that if you take your perfume and spray it “down thereâ€Â then you really need to rethink exactly why your doing that.

There’s nothing wrong with perfumes and lotions and believe me most of the girls up there used those products that very night. Why do we need douche sprays to smell like love spell? Or rose? You don’t see guys spraying their “down there’s.â€Â It’s about all of the things that we as women have been forced to accept as “normal.â€Â

As for the comment “I want to taste the fish,â€Â that was a statement in itself. What are women told that there “down there’sâ€Â smell like? Generally, fish. Now, no one is happy about this generalization, but it is what it is and during the Angry Vagina’s monologue that piece was all about looking at the vagina for what it is. If you have to spray it with anything then you should really be asking yourself, why? She took a negative generalization of what all vaginas smell like and used it to make that statement.

If you watched the Angry Vagina’s rant and some of what you got from it was that that piece was about not using perfumes for your body; then you got the wrong message. I’m glad that Daniela was inspired to think deeper about herself and her usage of items considered feminine, she was on the right track but I’m asking that you dig deeper about why you do what you do to “down there.â€Â In anything you do as a woman, just make sure your doing it for you and not because everyone else is telling you that’s what women should do.

Amy Wilson
Senior
Art, Mass Comm & Journalism

$100
$500

$100
$500

bucket fanMar 11, 2009 at 4:12 pm

damn good comment, let me tell you as a man i dont spray stuff down there and we should appreciate it on women for what it smells like down there, its only natural. Although now other comments may follow thinking im gross

bucket fanMar 11, 2009 at 11:12 pm