Lacrosse is back in action today

Bryan Cole / Collegian File Photo

For two weeks now, the women̢۪s lacrosse team has been preparing to take the field again. They have played five games thus far in their first season as a team.

After their loss to the Ducks in Oregon, they started a two and a half week break from games.

The season is broken down into thirds, and the team is just beginning the second third of the season now, coach Sue Behme said.

“Having a break in the season really helps players academically. It is challenging having to study on the road. Also, it is good for training purposes,â€Â Behme said.

Focus on improvement

According to Behme, during the break the team has been able to do strength training three days a week, work on stick skills and their offensive shooting and transitioning back on defense.

The team is breaking the game down and building it back up, focusing on different aspects.

Behme said that the team has been focusing on in-game progression, breaking down the offense, working on fast break drills and then defensive aspects.

These and other tactical concepts have been keeping the team busy in preparing to return to the full field.

Having a break in the season also gives players the opportunity to improve their play.

“Every player improves. I have seen improvement all over the place,â€Â Behme said.

Some players’ improvements have caused adjustments to the teams’ offense and defense.

These adjustments include offensive and defensive shifts.

It poses a challenge to the team as some players grow faster than others, but at the same time that is what helps them grow as a team and eventually get to the level at which they are going to be playing, explained Behme.

Preparing for next home game in April

The team will have a break from conference play for three games. They will be playing the University of Cincinnati Bearcats on Wednesday March 25, and then traveling to Detroit Mercy to play on Friday March 27, and back to Fresno to host their third home game against Presbyterian on March 29 at 8 a.m.

“The Mountain Pacific is a tough conference. It is good to have these three non-conference games to prepare us for our next conference matchup,â€Â Behme said.

As the lacrosse team begins the second third of the season, they look to use these three road games as preparation to return to Fresno to host their next conference game.

“It will be like we have the advantage, because we are playing again and using these three non-conference games to prepare us to host conference opponent St. Mary’s,â€Â Behme said.

Behme said that now being in the second third of the season, the team will be working on the execution of where they need to be by the end.

After the Bulldog lacrosse teams finishes its expedition of the East Coast they will be returning to Fresno to host one of five of their remaining games.

They will host their second game of the season on April 4 at 1 p.m. against conference opponent Saint Mary̢۪s.