Kremen to host summit of students, faculty and staff

As the economic crisis and continuing budget cuts continue to impact Fresno State, the Kremen School of Education is banding together and taking initiative to solve its problems.

The school will host a summit of students, faculty and staff on Thursday, March 12 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. in USU 309.

The summit will allow those who attend to voice their opinions and provide input for the college.

According to an e-mail addressed to students from Department Chair Charles Arokiasamy, the Kremen School of Education is significantly over enrollment, especially in the counseling and rehabilitation counseling programs.

The school is being forced to drastically cut the number of admissions or lose the cost of the extra students. The fees that those students would pay would not cover most of the cost and there would be no state funding to cover the remainder.

In an e-mail to The Collegian, Arokiasamy attributed this to the current economic crisis.

“The state provides money for a fixed number of students,â€Â Arokiasamy said.

“So, though no one is going to come around and charge fines, when there are more students than budgeted for, the school will be losing the cost of the extra students.â€Â

Although administration and faculty are working to develop solutions, Arokiasamy said he wants to get students, faculty and staff to come together in this time of crisis.

He encourages student to help in the brainstorming and decision making process by attending the summit or providing input via e-mail.

ASI senator Debbie Monroe, who is co-hosting the summit with Arokiasamy, said the goal of the summit is to work together to develop suitable solutions for everyone involved.

Arokiasamy was heartened by the amount of response and interaction he has gotten from the campus community.

“I love the spirit the students are bringing to this meeting,â€Â he said.