It̢۪s all up in the air

Newly-promoted quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator Jeff Grady will be given the task of choosing the next Bulldog quarterback.  Grady said that the average fan has as good of a guess as he does. Junior Ryan Colburn, redshirt freshman Ebahn Feathers and true freshman Derek Carr will all compete.
Photo By Keith Kountz / Courtesy Fresno State Athletics
Coach Grady decides if it will be Colburn, Carr or Feathers leading ̢۪Dogs̢۪ aerial attack in 2009

The Fresno State football program has undergone major surgery in the off-season. If a doctor were examining Pat Hill and the Bulldogs, he might say something like, “we’ll just have to wait and see how it turns out.â€ÂÃ¢€¨Ã¢€¨

Since the disappointing loss to Colorado State in the New Mexico Bowl, eight coaching changes have been announced, three quarterbacks are in an open competition and the deciding factor in who will be the starting quarterback come opening day is Jeff Grady, who coached tight ends last year. ̢̢۬۬

“I will take what I have learned as a former quarterback and from the five offensive coordinators before me,â€Â Grady said. “As for who will be the starting quarterback next year, the average fan has just as good of a guess as I do right now.â€ÂÃ¢€¨Ã¢€¨

Ten years ago, Grady was the man under center throwing passes for Fresno State. Now a decade later, Grady is the man who will call plays on offense, coordinate the passing game and coach the quarterbacks. ̢۬

“It’s not exactly how I planned it when I graduated from Fresno State with an economics degree in 2003,â€Â Grady said. “I planned
 to go into the business world, but my passion for football never left 
me.â€ÂÃ¢€¨Ã¢€¨

And with three passionate quarterbacks competing anxiously to see who will get the starting nod next fall, Grady knows he can only break good news to one of them next season.̢̢۬۬

Carr wants a championship

Four-star recruit Derek Carr is being tagged as the front-runner for the starting position next season as a freshman. However, Ebahn Feathers who will be a sophomore next year is the most mobile of the three. And Ryan Colburn is the most experienced serving as backup to Tom Brandstater for the past three years. ̢̢۬۬

But all three of them do have one thing in common.

“We all want to start,â€Â Carr said. “No one wants to be the number two or three, but someone will be next year.â€ÂÃ¢€¨Ã¢€¨

Junior Ryan Colburn has more experience than the freshmen, but the quarterback battle will be open between him, Derek Carr and Ebahn Feathers.
Juan Villa / Collegian File Photo

Derek Carr, younger brother of former Fresno State star quarterback and overall number one draft pick David Carr, says if he gets the chance, he will bring the swagger back to Bulldog football and instill excitement back into the fans.

“I know in time if I’m named the starter we can beat Boise. 
I’m so sick of those guys, and I know we can win conference championships with the talent we have. I came here to give the fans what they truly want: a national championship,â€Â Carr said.

With Carr growing up around Bulldog football, he said he already knows Grady pretty well.̢̢۬۬

“I used to play catch with Grady when I was like five,â€Â Carr 
said. “I’m glad Pat (Hill) didn’t go out and get someone. Just being around my brother and family, I’ve always followed Fresno State football, and Grady is the perfect guy for the job.â€ÂÃ¢€¨Ã¢€¨

Feathers would inspire fear

Carr may have the best chance to go to the next level and join his brother in the NFL one day, but Feathers feels he̢۪s ready to have opponents circle the Bulldogs on their schedules.̢۬

“After a year of experience, I’m ready to make that next step,â€Â Feathers 
said. “I can’t guarantee a 12-0 season next year, but if I’m quarterback, opponents will fear that Fresno State is on their schedule.â€Â 

Colburn has experience

While Feathers may have the most potential to scare opponent̢۪s defensive coordinators with his running ability, Colburn may be the safest choice for Grady.̢۬

Colburn has put in his time for the last three years waiting for his turn. And this year is supposed to be his shot to finally ‘be the man.’ But with talent swarming around him, Colburn could find himself in a familiar place come opening day: on the sidelines.

Correction

The story “It’s all up in the airâ€Â in the March 11 issue of The Collegian incorrectly attributed two quotes to Fresno State quarterback Ryan Colburn. The Collegian did not speak with Colburn for the story.

“I’m going to give it everything I’ve got,â€Â Colburn said. “If I play to my potential, I feel I could be the starting QB next year. We’re all friends, and competition is healthy for a team. It’s going to be one hell of a ride.â€ÂÃ¢€¨Ã¢€¨

So will it be Colburn, ‘a Feather’ or ‘a Carr’ that drives Fresno State’s offense next season? 

Only one man will make that decision.

And Grady says it won̢۪t be him.

“I won’t be the reason why two of these guys won’t start,â€Â Grady said. “I am going into this open-minded and this is truly an open competition. Those three individuals will decide who starts with their performances leading up to the decision. Only time will tell.â€ÂÃ¢€¨

$100
$500

$100
$500

aaronMar 24, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Get it, retarted? Bwhaha. Since you haven’t learned how to count. I doubt you have learned how to spell too. You are one grade A retarded fool.

aaronMar 25, 2009 at 6:47 am

aaronMar 24, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Hey moron, how dumb can you get? Brandstater greyshirted his first year idiot. He was at Fresno State for six years!!!!!! Are you retarted? He signed his letter of intent on 12/5/02!!!!!!!! 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you count? Or do you need to go back to kindergarten????? That is 6 years. Could you be any more of a loser?

Start Carr!!!!!!!!!

aaronMar 25, 2009 at 6:43 am

Start Carr!!!!!!!!!

• K

KMMar 17, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Aaron: JM has a valid point in his argument. Since you don’t remember correctly, Brandstater wasn’t here for 6 years, he was here for 5. Brandstater was also thrown in as the starter as a sophomore and had a terrible season. Following Brandstater’s terrible sophomore season, Colburn almost won the starting job but Hill named Brandstater the incumbent starter due to the fact that he had the experience from the year before and Colburn didn’t. So you might want to let the grown-ups make the comments before you blurt out things that make you sound very uninformed.

• K

KMMar 17, 2009 at 7:41 pm

JohnMar 15, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Derek Carr needs to start. He has the right attitude and cockiness to play the QB position. That is what Fresno State has missed. The QBs play like scared little pansies with no fire and lack the mentality that they are better than the oppoenents and will dominate them on the field. Feathers also should see some action as the play calling possibilities for him maybe will allow the team to actually have some offensive unpredictability. Not the usual 3 runs and a punt that make fans vomit all over Bulldog Stadium.

And for God sakes beat Boise State. There is no way in hell that Boise State should make Fresno State their B every single year. 1-7? How in the hell is that even possible. Start Carr. He has the right attitude and confidence that can make the team achieve its potential and not implode every freakin year. Colburn can stick to carrying the clipboard.

JohnMar 16, 2009 at 6:47 am

AaronMar 15, 2009 at 11:07 pm

JM: Not even close to being right. It sure helped Brandstater to be in college for 6 years right? If you are going to make a comment, at least have valid points to back it up. Otherwise, keep the commenting to people who actually have a clue. Thanks.

AaronMar 15, 2009 at 4:07 pm

JMMar 14, 2009 at 1:38 am

My money is on Colburn. I like the experience. These young guys gotta learn that sitting for a few years will help them be a better QB than just being thrown out there and learning on the job.

JMMar 14, 2009 at 8:38 am

jspMar 12, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I think a combo of the two would be awesome. I “think” Ebahn is good at scrambling but probably doesnt have the arm strength and accuracy. You dont want a quarter back like nevada, that can scramble but cant throw an accurate ball. If we get a quarter back that can do both we will be a big contender in coming seasons. I personally havent heard anything about ebahn feathers until this year. Also Ebahn must not have been that great of a quarterback because other universities didnt want him at quarterback, they wanted him for his speed. But we will see.

jspMar 12, 2009 at 8:16 pm

BS baby!Mar 11, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I find it comical that Carr feels he’s going to beat us. Yes I’m from Boise State. We’ve beaten Fresno State how many times in a row now? We actually like you guys when we’re not playing you, and if Carr keeps making comments like these, we may have a renewed rivalry. Interesting stuff none the less.

BS baby!Mar 11, 2009 at 11:20 pm

• Y

yoMar 11, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Good story. I don’t know much about Fresno State foodball because I don’t go to school there, but I still found it interesting and look forward to the decision.

• Y

yoMar 11, 2009 at 9:03 pm

wall st. journalMar 11, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Feathers has the explosive and dynamic potential that the Bulldogs need. Let Carr sit a year and redshirt him. If we are going to make a bowl game in 2009, it must be Ebahn. Just look at other colleges who utilize the mobile QB—–they make up for deficits in other areas by maximizing the offensive potential of one position.

wall st. journalMar 11, 2009 at 8:30 pm

• F

FreedMar 11, 2009 at 11:34 am

Carr sounds the most confident. Almost cocky, but I like the attitude for sure. A Carr/Feathers combo could potentially yield an explosive offense. Especially with our running backs talent. Our recievers need to be coached up for sure though.

• F

FreedMar 11, 2009 at 6:34 pm

• G

GS3Mar 11, 2009 at 10:36 am

My money’s on Carr… make it happen Grady

• G

GS3Mar 11, 2009 at 5:36 pm