Fresno State hosts five teams in tournament this weekend

REDWAVE Podcast Game of the Week: Softball vs. Cal

Senior Haley Perkins and the other Bulldog bats must come alive to get the 2009 season back on track.
Matt Weir / The Collegian

Fresno State softball has more challenges awaiting them this week, but this time they don̢۪t have to travel far, as they can stay home for the next few days.

The 8-6 Bulldogs will now prepare for their next tournament, the Bayer CropScience Classic at Bulldog Diamond beginning this Thursday.

Fresno State has spent the start of the 2009 season outside of Fresno. They have made trips to Cathedral City, Stockton and Lakewood.

In the last tournament the Bulldogs played in, they went 1-3 against the competition at the Mayfair Tournament in Lakewood, Calif. Their only victory was against the University of Wisconsin in a 12-3 win. The game was won in just five innings.

Room for improvement at home

Coach Margie Wright evaluated the team̢۪s overall performance in the Mayfair Tournament and didn̢۪t seem too pleased.

Sophomore pitcher Morgan Melloh, left, has not been getting necesary run support in the early parts of the season.  Melloh pitched two 2-hitters in the previous tournament and lost both games.  Coach Margie Wright has been disappointed by her team̢۪s slow 8-6 start and quiet bats.
Juan Villa / Collegian File Photo

“We clearly made a lot of mistakes down there that we’re not used to making,â€Â Wright said. “We know we’re better.â€Â

Wright noticed one main setback in the tournament, even when her top pitcher Morgan Melloh was playing strong in the circle.

“I think the most glaring statistic was Morgan threw two-hitters in two games and we lost,â€Â Wright said. “That’s tough to do. You should be able to throw a two-hitter and win. We don’t have any excuses, we just did not perform.â€Â

Being at home is something that Wright hopes her team uses to their advantage, especially after being away from Fresno for most of the season.

“It’s important to bounce back whether if you are home or away,â€Â Wright said. “I think it’s helpful to be at home because the [Fresno State] fans are the best fans in the country and I think its nice to sleep in your own bed. We’ve been on the road for four weeks in a row, so it’s nice to have a whole weekend at home and get a little bit more comfortable.â€Â

The Bulldogs will face the Brigham Young Cougars on Thursday night. Also playing in the tournament is Providence, Northern Illinois and California. The tournament ends on March 8.

Team looking forward to home games

Freshman Michelle Moses is one Fresno State player who̢۪s glad about being in front of her home crowd for the rest of the week.

“I’m excited. I think it’s a huge advantage for us to be on our home field,â€Â Moses said. “I think we’re going to do really well and I think the team is pumped up for it.â€Â

The Bulldogs̢۪ most recent home victory was the 2009 home opener against Utah Valley. Fresno State won that contest 12-1, also in five innings.

In that game, pitcher Morgan Melloh struck out eight batters en route to 518 career strikeouts. She is currently 5-4 on the year and is now three strikeouts shy of tying for eighth all-time, in the career strikeout list with Carie Dever.

Melloh was actually unaware of her milestone until it was brought up.

“I wasn’t really paying attention, but it’s great,â€Â Melloh said. “It’s an honor to be a part of the 500 strikeout club. It’s a great feeling but I look at it as an accomplishment and I need other goals, and that’s the World Series.â€Â

Melloh is well aware of her team̢۪s struggles so far this season and especially in the Mayfair Tournament. She feels however, that the team̢۪s performance is in the past now as they will now spend more time at home.

“Everybody has a bad day, but we put it all behind us,â€Â Melloh said. “We look forward to the season and we just have to step it up and we’re going to do that this weekend.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

Myles KennefickMar 5, 2009 at 10:43 am

Fresno State would really be hosting only four teams. You can’t technically host yourself can you?

Myles KennefickMar 5, 2009 at 5:43 pm