Feeling the love in weak economy

Escaping financial worries to even the relaxing sound of The Beatles becomes almost impossible when grudgingly realizing ‘love is [NOT] all you need,’ in this weakened economy.

No, on the contrary, we quickly realize the need of banks, jobs and hard cash to survive. Most importantly, we notice our dependence on a functional economy that is stable and has the power to grow once more, under the weight of us all.

Consequently, in these difficult times, the economy, along with all those involved, has become the topic of an all out national roast. The difference being, people don̢۪t cover up their passionate bashings as playful jokes, but clearly blame all of their afflictions on the flailing economy.

It̢۪s easy to join in on the complaints when considering the high unemployment rate in California, specifically in the hard hit Central Valley. This is seen locally with the loss of jobs due to the demise of businesses and organizations, such as the restaurant Pangea and The Falcons hockey team, who crumbled under the weight of financial pressures.

The true challenge then, is to see this economic bearer of woes as a mixed basket that carries some goods along with the undeniable abundance of rotten and decaying financial muck.

Of these goods, comes placing the spotlight on certain issues that would have otherwise gone under the radar for much longer.

The North Carolina woman that reported to Army duty with her children, due to a lack of childcare, may force a change in the military̢۪s ready reserve policies and perhaps better accommodate, and thereby actually honor, those that have completed their years of active military duty.

Bankrupt banks and failing corporations provide a prime opportunity to rid our economy of systems designed to profit the greedy while simultaneously trampling the middle class that makes up the greater part of our population.

Closer to our day to day lives, stores hurting for business are offering price cuts, with Starbucks even joining in by now offering their cheaper ‘breakfast pairings’ of coffee and food. A fun week off may also still be possible for some people with vacation destinations offering deep discounts for the upcoming spring break.

The ‘goods’ provided can even come down to simple acts like volunteering somewhere if you’ve had your hours cut at work, taking on that unpaid internship or even actually achieving the seemingly impossible task of getting eight hours of sleep.

Because, when being incessantly slapped with high rates, low Dows and shrinking funds, changes to our outlook in life and a little love may be just what we need.