Drinks for your daily grind

In order to compare the options for coffee, tea, pastries and other snacks on campus, I have enjoyed eating and drinking at the various establishments.

While my bank account cannot support this habit on a regular basis, I now know where I can get the best service and product while still leaving my tummy and my wallet satisfied.

Let̢۪s start with the newest option, the Starbucks in the library. I visit Starbucks off-campus regularly and the one thing I love is that no matter where you go, you know exactly what you are going to get.
Overall, I found this to be true on campus. My only gripe? The service could be improved. In my opinion, it should not take 10 minutes to get a drink. The employees were definitely friendly, but it would have been nice if they had stopped talking about their weekend plans to help the customers. Maybe if they were paying a little more attention, they wouldn̢۪t have had to remake my drink. In the end, my drink tasted like it always does and my blueberry muffin, although quite tasty, left my stomach still feeling empty.

There is a Planet Java in the Peter̢۪s Business Building and the Kremen Education Building. I have no complaints about this establishment. My chai latte, although different from my usual one from Starbucks, was delicious. The employees were friendly and my blueberry muffin was delectable and filling, probably because it was four times the size of the one from Starbucks.

Coffee Spot is located downstairs in the USU next to the bowling alley. While the name makes you think coffee, they may want to pride themselves on their large selection of convenient snacks. The coffee drinks, although significantly cheaper, left something to be desired. I will say, however, that you can get hot tea in any size for the same price. Unlike Starbucks, who charges you for extra water or a bigger cup. I̢۪m not quite sure which one. Here, you will find the normal bagels and muffins as well as unique offerings like ice cream and sushi as well as fresh fruit and wraps.

While you may not want to trek all over campus to put together the perfect, cost-effective breakfast, I do recommend each of these establishments for different things.

If you want your signature drink and don̢۪t mind paying a little extra, I think Starbucks is the best bet. For a regular cup of coffee? Starbucks again. Despite the prices on the rest of its menu, their coffee is actually the cheapest on campus.

For something a little different, I would head to Planet Java. The food is reasonably priced and the drink menu is fun and unique. Some of the drinks are a little pricey but they are also bigger than the competition̢۪s.

Finally, for an actual meal, and not a sugary frozen coffee drink or calorie-filled pastries, Coffee Spot has the best variety at a reasonable price. The service was fast, and it’s conveniently located right in the middle of campus.