Doing it for the kids

Volunteers lined the street corners of Fresno early Tuesday to sell Kids Day newspapers including Martha Martinez, 21, a communicative disorders major and Jose Gamino, 22, an international business major. Martinez and Gamino both arrived at the corner of Shaw and Cedar at 4:30 a.m.
Sarah Gilbert / The Collegian

Fresno State students woke up before dawn, gathered on street corners and sold newspapers Tuesday morning in an effort to raise money for Children̢۪s Hospital Central California.

One thousand students from 67 different campus groups joined more than 4,000 other volunteers from Merced to Tulare to sell special editions of the Fresno Bee for $1. Proceeds go to Children̢۪s Hospital. This year marked the 22nd annual Kids Day fundraiser, a cooperative effort between Children̢۪s Hospital, the Fresno Bee and ABC-30.

Since the fundraiser started in 1988, more than $3.25 million has been raised. Last year was a big year, pulling in $470,514.

A preliminary count for Kids Day 2009 is just above $400,000, meeting this year̢۪s goal, Micheline Golden, public relations manager at Children̢۪s Hospital, said.

“We’re very lucky to have the support of the community,â€Â Golden said.

Fresno State student volunteers exceed expectations

Of the total amount raised this year, $30,807 is from sales by Fresno State students. Last year, Fresno State raised $25,298. “We are pretty excited, to say the least,â€Â Renee Delport, special events coordinator for the Richter Center, said about selling more papers than last year.

With help from The Jan and Bud Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service Learning, a 12-student volunteer Kids Day committee organized Fresno State̢۪s effort in the fundraiser. Kids Day is the largest one-day community service effort that Fresno State takes part in.

Delport said the committee handled the organization, marketing and distribution of papers. “They are helping a great, great cause,â€Â she said. “They are benefiting a cause much larger than themselves. It is not for class and it is not graded. They do it because they care.â€Â

She added that being a committee member creates great leadership opportunities and a chance to step up and do something worthwhile that helps people.

Top sellers recognized

The Richter Center acknowledges the two top-selling groups with less than 20 members and the two top-selling groups with more than 20 members. This year’s committee decided not to award prizes. Delport said, “Prizes are not important, but recognition is.â€Â

Enrique Rodriguez is a member of the Sigma Nu fraternity and a member of the Kids Day Committee. For the past four years, the fraternity has been the top-selling group at Fresno State. This year, they did it again, bringing in $3,221.

Rodriguez said that the entire fraternity participates. “It has become part of our culture and a tradition,â€Â he said. He also said Kids Day is great way to help children and the community and show people that fraternities do more than just party.

While Sigma Nu raises money, they also get the opportunity to have fun and enjoy a bonding experience. “It is always really fun. There is a big group of us together for five hours with no computer or TV,â€Â Rodriguez said. “We get to talk and get to know each other. It’s good old-fashioned bonding.â€Â

The Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity sold the second largest number of papers Tuesday, bringing in $2,203.

“We’re just here for the kids. It’s nice to see people donating in these tough economic times,â€Â Zachary Boatright, a member of the fraternity, said.