Diamond ̢۪Dogs go 1-2 against Oregon Ducks

Bryan Cole / Collegian File Photo
In Oregon̢۪s first home series in 28 years, Bulldogs fall to 3-4 on the season

If the Fresno State baseball team wondered how the Washington Huskies felt on opening weekend, they now have a clue.

On Feb. 20, the Bulldogs opened their home schedule in front of a sellout crowd and won two of three games against the Huskies. This weekend, the Oregon Ducks flipped the script, winning two of three over the ‘Dogs and selling out two of the games.

It was Oregon̢۪s first baseball game in 28 years and marked the first series ever played in the team̢۪s new stadium, PK Park.

Oregon̢۪s won the first game on Friday, 1-0.

Fresno State senior pitcher Holden Sprague pitched 7 2/3 shutout innings before leaving the game, while Sophomore infielder Danny Muno cracked the first-ever hit at the stadium.

However, no runs would be scored by either team until the bottom of the ninth. With two outs, the Ducks won the game on a walk-off single by senior Andrew Schmidt.

Bryan Cole / Collegian File Photo

“We executed what we had to do. Unfortunately, we didn’t come out with the win. They were a good team,â€Â Sprague said.

The Bulldogs fared no better Saturday, losing 7-1. They managed seven hits and Danny Muno hit PK Park̢۪s first home run as well, but Oregon ran up 10 hits of their own and all but three were converted into runs.

Junior Sean Bonesteele started on the mound for Fresno State. He only lasted 2.1 innings and gave up five runs. The ‘Dogs used four total pitchers in the effort.

First baseman Alan Ahmady provided a bright spot on the day for Fresno State, going 2-for-3 in his first start of 2009 and playing well defensively.

Sunday game a win

Saturday̢۪s game was also a sellout.

For Oregon, it was the perfect way to christen their new stadium, in front of two big crowds.

For Fresno State, it was less exciting. “Friday and Saturday we strayed away from our team offensive ideals and goals,â€Â senior catcher Danny Grubb said. “We were individuals on Friday and Saturday.â€Â

But Fresno State answered the bell on Sunday, routing Oregon 10-3. The win came from a suddenly strong offense and a nice effort by starting pitcher Jake Floethe. Tom Mendonca hit PK Park̢۪s second and third home runs in the win.

Holden Sprague enjoyed finishing the series on a positive note. “It’ll make the trip home a lot easier. Getting swept is not a good feeling,â€Â Sprague said.

A strange event also marked Sunday̢۪s series closer. In the top of the 8th inning, the Bulldogs batted out of order. Grubb hit in place of Dusty Robinson, potentially costing the team an automatic out.

Luckily the mistake was corrected before it caused any damage, and the ‘Dogs had a safe 8-run lead. The Bulldogs’ radio announcer said he hadn’t seen an incident like it since he played Little League.

‘Dogs love their fans

While Oregon sold out their stadium, the Fresno State players said it didn̢۪t compare to the Fresno crowd.

“It was fun to play in this atmosphere, but you can’t beat playing in front of Fresno,â€Â Grubb said. “You just can’t beat Fresno fans.â€Â

Sprague also noted that the stadium was unfinished. He said, “They didn’t really know what to expect from a baseball game. It looked kind of like a basketball crowd at the 18th hole of a golf tournament.â€Â

The No. 15 Bulldogs are now 3-4 on the year and will likely lose their national ranking as a result.

The team will hit the road on Wednesday for a game against UC Davis before coming back home for a weekend series with Buffalo.

$100
$500

$100
$500

AaronMar 3, 2009 at 7:39 pm

kind of sad. We̢۪re loosing to a team that hasn̢۪t been active at the varsity level in three decades?

Kind of sad. You can̢۪t even spell correctly.

Notice the pattern? Kind of sad…….

Get a clue clown.

AaronMar 4, 2009 at 2:39 am

kind of sad. We’re loosing to a team that hasn’t been active at the varsity level in three decades?

Kind of sad. You can’t even spell correctly.

Notice the pattern? Kind of sad…….

Get a clue clown.

Mr. BigMar 2, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Kind of sad, Aaron. You can’t use complete sentences?

Mr. BigMar 2, 2009 at 7:52 pm

AaronMar 2, 2009 at 1:34 am

AaronMar 2, 2009 at 8:34 am

Aardvaark G.Mar 2, 2009 at 1:23 am

Aardvaark G.Mar 2, 2009 at 8:23 am