Diamond ̢۪Dogs̢۪ bats come alive against Bulls

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

It may have taken a little longer than expected, but the defending national champions may be back in winning form.

After dropping two out of three games last weekend to a newly-reinstated Oregon program, the Fresno State Bulldog baseball team seemed destined for another slow start.

But after the first six innings of play on Saturday at Pete Beiden Field against the University of Buffalo, Fresno State̢۪s bats finally woke up and pounded Buffalo pitching.

Thanks in large part to back-to-back home runs from Tommy Mendonca and Steve Detwiler, the Bulldogs broke open a 3-3 tie on Saturday and defeated the Bulls 6-3.

Fresno State followed up Saturday̢۪s performance with a 22-4 thrashing on Sunday afternoon to improve its overall record to 5-4 going into this week̢۪s Pepsi-Johnny Quik Classic at Beiden Field.

Buffalo̢۪s pitchers walked 16 batters in Sunday̢۪s game, but coach Mike Batesole said those mistakes don̢۪t matter if his team can̢۪t capitalize on them.

“It doesn’t really matter what the team in the other dugout does, because we’re here to do our thing,â€Â Batesole said. “There was a lot of discipline on our end.â€Â

Ahmady back in play

A big part of the team̢۪s offensive resurgence has been the return of All-American first baseman Alan Ahmady.

Ahmady sat out the first five games of the season due to a suspension and said the middle of the Bulldogs̢۪ lineup needs to keep producing if they hope to stay competitive this season.

Since his return, Ahmady is batting .384 with five RBI.

“Hitting is contagious,â€Â Ahmady said. “When we hit like that it’s hard to stop us.â€Â

Mendonca said that having Ahmady back in the lineup has taken pressure off of him and gives added protection for the other hitters in the lineup.

“[Ahmady] is probably our best hitter so it’s good to have his stick back in the lineup,â€Â Mendonca said. “He can produce runs and so far that’s what he’s been doing.â€Â

Offense, pitching stay strong for ‘Dogs

Mendonca̢۪s home run in Saturday̢۪s game sailed more than 400 feet over the batter̢۪s eye in center field, but it wasn̢۪t just his bat making noise.

Detwiler, senior Gavin Hedstrom and freshman Kenny Wise all hit homers during the weekend and the Bulldogs amassed 17 hits on Sunday.

Hedstrom said the combination of being patient at the plate and the inability of Buffalo̢۪s pitchers to throw strikes led to Sunday̢۪s offensive onslaught.

“Once you get a lead in a baseball game it’s a lot easier to take at-bats,â€Â Hedstrom said. “Our offense is finally getting to the point where it can comfortably score runs.â€Â

Lost in the shuffle of homers, base hits and record-number walks by Bulldog batters (16 on Sunday setting a school record) were the solid efforts of the Bulldogs̢۪ pitching staff.

Senior right-hander Holden Sprague, pitched 7 1/3 innings on Saturday, giving up three earned runs and striking out five batters in a no-decision.

Sprague surrendered two home runs, but kept the Bulldogs in the game the entire way through.

On Sunday, sophomore Jake Floethe (2-0) didn̢۪t have to do much with a double-digit lead as a cushion, but the right-hander went six innings, allowing only one earned run and striking out four.

He said his early season success has been the result of paying attention to Sprague̢۪s outings.

“He’s been a great role model, even during the offseason,â€Â Floethe said. “He just tears apart hitters and as a staff we just sit back and watch him work.â€Â

Upcoming tournament will test ‘Dogs mettle

The Diamond ̢۪Dogs now head into a grueling stretch of games in which they will play six games in six days in the Pepsi-Johnny Quik Classic.

Three teams will be in Fresno for the tournament, including Buffalo, Portland and first-year program Cal State Bakersfield.

Floethe said the young pitching staff will definitely get a gut check this week, but said the pitchers need to remember one thing.

“Throw strikes,â€Â Floethe said. “The freshmen and [junior college] guys have a big opportunity ahead of them this week. If they keep the ball down and throw strikes we’re going to look good.â€Â

Batesole said he will use this week̢۪s tournament as an opportunity to assess his young talent and see where his team stands going into the rest of the season.

The biggest question mark facing the team at this point, is who will become regular contributors for the remainder of the season.

“You’re going to see a lot of guys going in and out, but sooner or later it has to settle in,â€Â Batesole said. “We’ve got a couple positions to fill and this is their opportunity to take those jobs and run with them into league.â€Â

Fresno State opens tournament play tonight against Portland at 6:05 p.m. Freshman left-hander Josh Poytress will get the start on the mound.