Club volleyball reaches No. 1

Joseph Edgecomb / The Collegian

Despite being ranked as the No. 1 team in the nation, the Fresno State men̢۪s volleyball team continues to be one of the most underrated programs on campus.

That might be because the team is not affiliated through the Fresno State athletic department, instead it is a campus-organized club.

The team̢۪s 35-3 record, as of Sunday morning, puts them atop the nation and part of that is due to the competitiveness of its̢۪ schedule and league play.

“This league has to be the most competitive in the country,â€Â said Brian Tsukimura, who is the team’s head coach and advisor.

The Bulldogs are part of the Northern California Collegiate Volleyball League, which is composed of Sacramento State, California, Sonoma State, Santa Clara, UC Davis, Stanford, Cal Poly, Chico State and Fresno State.

The nine-team league can be dignified as the nation̢۪s toughest, with four teams ranking in the nation̢۪s Top 20.

And for the first time in school history, Fresno State hosted the NCCVL league championship tournament on Sunday.

“We just wanted to play our game and play consistently,â€Â Tsukimura said.

The first game of the tournament the Bulldogs took on Sacramento State, whom they had lost just one set to all season. A win would advance the team to face the winner of the Cal and UC Davis match.

Results of the match were not available for print. Prior to the start of the tournament, senior Brett Gillen said his team just needed to focus on their own play.

“It doesn’t matter what our opponent does, we just have to stay calm and collective,â€Â Gillen said . “We just have to go out and play hard.â€Â

The most impressive thing about the men̢۪s volleyball team is that their success on a national level has been reached without the help that most other athletic programs receive.

While the club does receive money from Associated Student, Inc. (ASI) and IRA, it does not have near the same budget as other athletic teams at Fresno State.

Each player pays $500 to play and must buy their own plane ticket for traveling.

In addition to cost being an obstacle for the team̢۪s success, so is time. The team practices twice a week, but with gym space tight, they often can̢۪t practice until 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. on school nights. Practice can end anywhere from 10 p.m. to midnight.

Only a select few universities nationwide have men̢۪s volleyball programs run through the NCAA. However, there are over 320 universities with club volleyball programs and that is where the true prestige lies, according to Tsukimura.

To the members of the Fresno State men̢۪s volleyball team, it isn̢۪t an issue not being part of the NCAA or receiving much exposure.

“It would be nice to get a little more recognition,â€Â said Gillen. “But our fans know who we are and volleyball is such a tight community.â€Â

It is this type of spirit and fight that Tsukimura says makes his team possibly the best team he has ever coached. As a coach, he said, that motivating his athletes isn̢۪t a problem because they have to work through the obstacles of being a club sport, which in itself shows their true desire to play.

“The thing about guys who do club is that they are there for the love of the sport,â€Â said Tsukimura.
“They don’t need any motivation.â€Â

But more than anything, he believes that the chemistry of his team is what has brought them to such a high ranking.

“If you asked me to rank them in athleticism with all the other teams I have coached, they would be in the bottom half,â€Â said Tsukimura. “But the team chemistry is like no other team I’ve ever been around.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

dwApr 1, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Milhouse–however, proportionality is not the ONLY measure of compliance.

The 1979 policy interpretation for Title IX (which still stands) included what has become known as the “three-prong test” of an institution’s compliance:

Prong one – Providing athletic opportunities that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment, OR

Prong two – Demonstrate a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented sex, OR

Prong three – Full and effective accommodation of the interest and ability of underrepresented sex.

Compliance with Title IX can be demonstrated by meeting any one of the three prongs.

Most institutions have shown compliance according to the U.S. Dept. of Education by meeting the third prong.

Fresno State has a choice in how it complies with Title IX. Proportionality is not the only method to show compliance. If you’re unhappy with how the university has decided to demonstrate compliance, don’t blame the women, blame the university. Them go agitate for changing how Fresno State shows compliance.

Yes, lacrosse and swimming and diving were added to balance the scholarships. The only other option under the prong Fresno State CHOOSES to use was cutting scholarships on the men’s side of the ledger.

Wrestling was cut because of expense and because it was a dismal performer academically (and had image problems ala men’s basketball). Lest you come back with “why didn’t they drop men’s basketball,” fielding a men’s basketball team is required to be a member of the Western Athletic Conference aka the WAC. The WAC requires its member schools to field football, men’s and women’s basketball, and women’s volleyball. In addition, the university is required by the WAC to field a minimum of 16 teams. Given the finances of the last 15 years (at minimum) doing that has become a challenge.

dwApr 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Milhouse VanHaughtenApr 1, 2009 at 1:43 pm

the key problem of Title IX is proportionality—–if 68% of college students at public university A are female—–that same number of athletes has to be female according to Title IX. Where in the world do as many women as men have a desire to compete in sports at a level as high as college? I could get behind Title IX if the premise were true equality. 50/50 gender composition seems rational. 50/50 male to female teams seem rational. Or in the least, give an exemptions to football as a revenue producer when analyzing college sports breakdowns. You can’t tell me Title IX is a non-factor when we now have no men’s soccer, no wrestling, but we do have a women’s lacrosse program. Doesn’t add up. Wrestling brought in fans—–lacrosse with it’s three east coast road trips and only three home games is sure to operate over budget.

Milhouse VanHaughtenApr 1, 2009 at 8:43 pm

dwApr 1, 2009 at 1:30 pm

mg–thanks for your comment.

Title IX has been used as an ALIBI by numerous athletic departments (including here at Fresno State) to explain away why a particular sport program was dropped or not added. In the case of Fresno State, every sport eliminated was eliminated for purely financial reasons and not because of gender equity.

I would agree that when a program is dropped, it can have Title IX implications, dependent on what compliance test is used. Fresno State (as all institutions have) has the choice of using one of three tests. Fresno State has chosen to use proportionality, but that is not the ONLY test available. Proportionality was the test method agreed to in the Cal-NOW case settlement in the early 1990s. The terms of the settlement expired a long time ago, but the Cal State U system continues to use it.

However, Title IX plays only 2% in deciding whether to add or drop a program. Finances is overwhelmingly the primary factor.

In the case of Fresno State, attempts were made in 1977 and 1980 to eliminate numerous sports, incluidng wrestling, men’s and women’s swimming, men’s water polo, gymnastics, track, and cross country (among others). The rationale for dropping all of them: finances–the money was neede to support football and men’s basketball.

Gymnastics disappeared sometime after 1980, despite a student referendum that financed it. Water polo was dropped in 1992 and men’s swimming in 1995. Men’s soccer and women’s swimming were dropped in 2004. Wrestling was supposed to be dropped instead of men’s soccer but a well-heeled booster reportedly brought pressure to bear. And we all know about the addition of lacrosse and women’s swimming & diving.

After all the lawsuits, Prez Welty convened a gender equity taskforce which determined the university was out of compliance for Title IX. The taskforce recommended adding sports instead of cutting scholarships. The NCAA controls the maximum number of scholarships offered in each sport and the university has limited options. Using the proportionality test, the taskforce found that scholarship and competition opportunites were out of whack.

I encourage you to look at the Gender Equity Plan. It’s available via the university’s home page.

dwApr 1, 2009 at 8:30 pm

mg–thanks for your comment.

mgApr 1, 2009 at 9:37 am

dw,

If there was no deficit and the money existed today to support the elevation of the men’s volleyball program to NCAA status, it could not happen because a corresponding women’s program would have to be created or another sport dropped to comply with title IX. I’m not a title IX basher but to pretend that it has played no role in these decisions is simply dishonest and misleads. Should our financial situation improve dramatically in the future (lets hope!), people will believe that programs like men’s volleyball could be added, or wrestling and/or soccer return and the reality is that it simply is not going to happen regardless of the fiscal situation. It is time to be open, honest and transparent in these discussions so that expectations are in line with what is possible.

mgApr 1, 2009 at 4:37 pm

dw,

dwApr 1, 2009 at 5:58 am

As one of the official supporters of the club, I can safely say that finances and not Title IX have denied the men’s team the opportunity to compete as a NCAA program. In the 1980s, the club as told that the Athletic Department could not afford dollar-wise to add them as an official intercollegiate team. The vast majority of problems in our athletic department are purely financial (we really can’t afford to compete at the Division I level anymore, like alot of NCAA institutions). Right now, the department is looking at a deficit of least $1.5 million dollars by the end of June.

The shooting. Channel 24 reported it yesterday, complete with film of numerous bulletholes. Yes, it did happen.

dwApr 1, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Duff ManMar 31, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Too bad Title IX will always and forever prevent this program from earning NCAA status—-

Please do investigate the shooting if what this guy says has any merit. When Latino gang bangers start to bring their hoodlem antics to college parties, the threat deserves some publicity

Duff ManApr 1, 2009 at 2:00 am

dwMar 31, 2009 at 1:35 pm

To answer the question, the Bulldogs won the league championship, beating Cal Berkeley 25-19, 25-19, 25-22. They will be heading off to Nationals in Kansas City over Easter Weekend.

Fresno State has hosted the league championship tournament before (when the league may have been known by another name). The Bulldogs hosted the 1989 tournament.

dwMar 31, 2009 at 8:35 pm

dwMar 31, 2009 at 1:28 pm

FINALLY….A story on the best team (along with the bowling team) on this campus!

By the way, better get a reporter over to the Delta Psi Sigma house (the old Victorian). Early this morning, Bulldog gang members shot the living daylights out of the house after they tried to crash a party. Reports are that the house was riddled with gunfire.

dwMar 31, 2009 at 8:28 pm