̢۪Dogs shutout Portland in tourney

A 7-0 win over Portland was how the Fresno State baseball team chose to kick off its first game of the 31st annual Pepsi/Johnny Quik Classic on Monday night.

And it was more than just a win for the Bulldogs as the strength and the depth of the squad really showed in the team̢۪s first shutout win of the season as they improved to 6-4 on the year.

In his first starting appearance on the mound at Bulldog Diamond, Josh Poytress had an impressive start.

The freshman, from Fowler High School, pitched five scoreless innings recording four strikeouts to get the win.

In a press release, head coach Mike Batesole said he was pleased with the poise of Poytress in his debut.

“That’s what we brought him here for. I like the way he pounded the zone,â€Â said Batesole. “He controlled the running game well. We needed him to throw strikes and he got us through five innings.â€ÂÃ¢€¨

Freshmen, seniors work side-by-side

Zac Bischoff and Matt Morse combined for four innings to close out the game for Fresno State. Dusty Robinson, another freshman, stepped up as well going 3-4 at the plate contributing to the 12 hits the Bulldogs totaled. ̢۬

Tom Mendonca and Steve Detwiler each had singles to score runners and Gavin Hedstrom touched home plate after a wild pitch to give the Bulldogs a 3-0 lead.

Muno also scored off a wild pitch to push the lead to 4-0.

The final three runs of the night came in the bottom of the eighth for the ̢۪Dogs when Isaac Vivas had his only hit of the night. ̢۬The junior doubled to left field to bring home Danny Grubb and Dusty Robinson, who were on first and second base. ̢۬

With Vivas on base, Alan Ahmady singled to right center to extend the lead and finalize the 7-0 win.

Tuesday, the ̢۪Dogs faced off against Cal State Bakersfield. CSUB lost to Buffalo, whom the Bulldogs swept this past weekend, 7-6 in a game that went into 11 innings. ̢۬

The Bulldogs̢۪ game against the Road Runners was scheduled at 6:05 p.m. Fresno State plays every night at 6:05 p.m. this week.

Scores and statistics for Tuesday̢۪s game against Cal State Bakersfield will be updated exclusively online.

Check The Collegian on Friday for a tournament recap.