Water forum on campus brings out Fresno residents

There̢۪s nothing like a good debate on a hot topic to stir up the community. In this case, it was environmentalists versus agriculture advocates.

The debate, sponsored by Fresno State̢۪s political science program and the Political Science Student Association, garnered a lot of interest from local residents as it was open to the public.

Nearly 700 concerned citizens attended the debate, which took place last Wednesday at the Satellite Student Union.

Fresno State students from the mass communication and journalism department filmed the debate, which re-aired on Feb. 9 at 6 p.m.

State experts head panel

The debating environmentalists were Tom Birmingham, the general manager of the Wastelands Water District; Kole Upton, former chairman of Friant Water Uses Authority; and Jim Beck, the general manager of Kern County Water Agency.

Debating on the agriculture side were Michael Jackson, Lloyd Carter and Bill Jennings. Bill Jennings is the chairman of the California Sportfishing Protection Alliance. Jackson is active in the California Water Network, the Regional Council of Rural Counties and counsel to the California Sportfishing Protection Alliance.

Also active in the California Water Network and president of the California Save Our Streams Council is Lloyd Carter.

Restoration, agriculture debated

Efforts to restore the San Joaquin River on the Valley’s east side were debated at the event. Effects of the decision will affect groundwater recharge, potential loss of water to agriculture irrigation and return of salmon. Also, this would bring new recreational opportunities and freshwater from the Delta.

The agriculture advocates debated against the issue of the Valley’s west side. Possible effects of the Valley’s west side decision may include loss of jobs, damage to agriculture and drainage issues.

The last issue of debate was the Sacramento San Joaquin River Delta. Potential problems are the fragile levees in Northern California, and concerns of Northern California citizens.

The debate also discussed a proposal to route water from the Sacramento Delta to the Central Valley and Southern California.

$100
$500

$100
$500

David CoxeyFeb 11, 2009 at 6:19 pm

I’m quite certain the author, Alex Zimmerman, has the two sides reversed. I seriously doubt that Mr. Birmingham, Upton and Beck were, our ever could be, on the “debating environmentalists” team. Likewise, I don’t think it is possible for Mr. Jackson, Carter or Jennings to ever change their environmentalist views…even for a debate. However, reversing the roles which is common in debate class, would certainly be interesting and entertaining in this case were it not such a serious subject.

David CoxeyFeb 12, 2009 at 1:19 am