To do: Save 155 people, return library book

Naturally, when the jetliner piloted by “Sullyâ€Â Sullenberger performed an unexpected slip ‘n slide into the Hudson River last month, library books were nowhere on the mind.

Well, I can’t actually make that claim anymore and receive “duhâ€Â comments in agreement because, apparently, Mr. Chesley B. “Sullyâ€Â Sullenberger, pilot of US Airways flight 1549, was in fact mindful of a possible overdue or replacement fee.

The story goes that Sully, which I will affectionately refer to him as, was interested in checking out a book at a library in his home town of Danville. But when the library of choice failed to come through with Sully̢۪s reading material, an interlibrary loan request with Fresno State̢۪s Henry Madden Library was arranged. To nobody̢۪s surprise, the people of the Henry Madden Library slipped into their phone booth and reappeared with the book, and, like the good people they are, didn̢۪t ever request a book to be named later in the deal.

So Sully packed his bags, book and all, and prepared for a routine flight that didn̢۪t originally include a pit stop in the Hudson River. Those plans changed when some rebel birds tried to squeeze through one of the jet̢۪s engines and instead found a surprise treat. On a side note, if anyone ever calls you a bird brain, don̢۪t take it as a compliment.

This forced Sully to perform a remarkable crash landing into the aforementioned Hudson River, which led to the rescue of all 155 people on board. As everyone else was in a frantic rush to get off the plane to safety, Sully stayed behind to check every inch of the plane—three times—to be sure nobody was left on board. This is where you begin to realize the kind of man we are talking about here. When the media clamored for his attention or a small snippet of a sound bite, Sully refused. He wanted no recognition for his bravery, his unprecedented achievement or his heroics.

But Chesley B. Sullenberger is nothing less than one of the most honorable, loyal, ethical and respected men we have in this country. It then comes as no surprise that the topic of choice for Sullenberger̢۪s book was, professional ethics.

As we come full circle, all you can do is crack one of those one-sided smiles and shake your head in amazement at what kind of story we are all witnesses to. Despite all the commotion and stress of the flight, media attention and dozens of other things on Sully̢۪s mind, he still had the presence of mind to make a phone call to the Henry Madden Library and explain his situation. I mean, good grief, when I get a paper cut I drop everything and curl into a ball, let alone make calls to negotiate financial matters.

But not Sully. He asked the library for a postponement or waive of his fee due to his circumstances, which was of course granted.

Allow dean of library services Peter McDonald to explain. “Here is a national hero you would think would have more important things to worry about,â€Â McDonald said in a press release. “The world now knows he contacted us almost immediately about the books he’d borrowed that were stuck in the hold of a downed plane. I’d trust my life to a man like Sullenberger. Of course we’ll waive the fee.â€Â

Not only did McDonald waive the fee, but he plans to replace the book and add a bookplate to the inside cover dedicating the volume to Sullenberger.

What would be even better? How about inviting Sullenberger to the opening of the new Henry Madden Library to cut the ribbon with those over-sized giant scissors? And as I look at the calendar, I see there is a season-opener for the Fresno State baseball team the very next day, Feb. 20. First pitch, anyone?

It̢۪s a story that̢۪s nothing short of remarkable, and one we as Fresno State students should be proud our name is attached to.

I, for one, would be proud to go slip ‘n sliding with Mr. Sullenberger anytime.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• U

UlysseesSep 14, 2016 at 11:38 am

For the record, four waterlogged but dry library books were eventually retrieved and returned to Sully months later (along with many other items, as was the case with most passengers’ recovered and identifiable belongings) who dutifully returned them to his local Danville, Calif. library–where they are now on display, at least three of them. Whether the Danville Library, in turn, returned the Fresno State book to the Madden Library I cannot say.