anger of the V-spots" />

The anger of the V-spots

Apparently, my vagina is angry. I was very clearly informed of its alleged rage last Sunday when I attended the production of “The Vagina Monologuesâ€Â at the Satellite Student Union.

Before attending, I honestly didn’t think good ol’ kitty cat was troubled in any way. I was completely unaware of the possibility of it being “pissed offâ€Â at thongs, tampons or God forbid the use of any cleansing product smelling of “rain.â€Â

Don̢۪t get me wrong, as I told one of the cast members, I really did enjoy the show. Those that participated gave great renditions of their monologues and proceeds of the show were given to different non-profit organizations in an effort to stop violence against women and girls worldwide.

However, I was concerned and moved toward a deeper thinking of women and their vaginas by one particular monologue entitled, “My Angry Vagina.â€Â

If I would have been a guy listening to this monologue, I would have been filled with admiration for a woman’s ability to constantly put up with the “psycho products and nasty ideasâ€Â the commercial giants are shoving at women, or up, for the sake and comfort of men.

But as a vagina possessing individual, I was very surprised with my reaction. Neither I nor my vagina —going along with the ‘Monologues’ treatment of the vagina as a separate entity of reason and emotion— feel particularly angry toward the products and practices that were demonized because of their supposed “hateâ€Â and attacks towards the vagina.

Instead of joining in with the many approving “Yeahsâ€Â coming from different women in the audience, I sat in troubled silence while thinking of my liking of products that would fall in the vagina-hating category.

In contrast to the woman in the monologue that exclaims she wants to “taste the fish, that’s why I ordered it,â€Â I firmly believe that if you smell anything fishy, you’re more than likely past due for a shower.

Not finding myself agreeing with much in the monologue, I quickly became terrified by the shock that maybe this meant I wasn̢۪t the progressive feminist I had felt myself evolving into.

Does my love for smelling good, constantly indulging in Victoria̢۪s Secret Love Spell lotion and Chanel Chance perfume, make me another woman cheated to live a life of incessantly buying into constraints set by a patriarchal society?

In a world where women are still constantly proving their abilities to show the need for gender equality, the incorporation of femininity toward a feminist goal is often seen as impossible, with the two elements posed as pointing towards different directions. Following this confining view, the feminist fights for equality with an incredible determination that requires her to forsake many things loved. The feminine woman is then damned to live a mediocre life of submission, becoming the very “dry wad of f*****gâ€Â disposable matter their blasted tampons are made of.

These views, however, are nothing but extremely limiting to the true freedom and equality of women. Women should not feel bound to smell like honeysuckle even when at the gym, but embracing femininity should not be seen as an acceptance of the idea of the proper lady, much less of a double standard between the two genders.

At the core of gender inequality is the idea that femininity proves women are incapable of performing tasks and roles originally dominated by men. The power of women, in its true form, will only be created by embracing our gender differences, whether anatomical or inherent, while never ceasing to pursue our goals and thereby shatter negativity seen in engaging in any level of femininity. Thus, the strong woman and the feminine woman are not set on permanently different spheres, but become part of what women can be.

The bottom line of feminine limitations, or vagina rage, comes down to doing things for something or someone else rather than for your own benefit and enjoyment. As long as women express their womanhood in their own unique ways, women, along with their vaginas, can have “silence and freedomâ€Â from society, even when smelling like “rainâ€Â and Chanel.