Super Bowl ads: for men only

Budweiser / McClatchy Tribune

Super Bowl commercials have become trademarks for companies. Budweiser, Pepsi, Doritos and GoDaddy.com were a few companies that had more than one commercial during this year’s game.

As I was sitting in my apartment with my roommates and friends, I found myself thinking about the purpose of Super Bowl commercials. Shortly after my pondering, I was interrupted by a house full of guys cheering. No, it wasn̢۪t a big play. It was Danica Patrick talking about how many showers she had in a commercial.

Super Bowl ads are for men. The Super Bowl is the biggest football game of the year. Football is arguably one of the sports men watch most. Therefore, the Super Bowl is advertisers’ chance to reach out to one of the largest audiences of the year, even if it does consist mostly of men.

After my realization, I was watching commercials almost from a different point of view. Every commercial was either a beer or snack food commercial. Also featured were a few action movie trailers and season premier previews.

My personal favorite out of the new commercials was one featuring Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head. They were driving along a road when Mr. Potato Head slammed on his brakes, forcing his wife̢۪s lips off her face. Her voice faded away. As Mrs. Potato Head put out her angry eyes but had nothing to say, it became clear to me why I like Super Bowl commercials so much. It is because I am a guy. I am just another part of this mass audience that is targeted by companies on the Super Bowl — and I love it.

My great disappointment was watching Super Bowl commercials in 3D. As grateful as I was that my roommate picked up 3D glasses for everyone, I feel like I missed out on the actual commercial due to the headache the glasses gave me. The “Monsters vs. Aliens” movie trailer started out promising with a paddle ball bouncing towards your face, but unfortunately that was the only 3D moment. I say good idea, bad commercial.

Advertisers have studied the American audience well. The Super Bowl is advertisers’ chance to reach American men. And they do. The best way to gain your own opinion on Super Bowl commercials would be to watch them here.