Softball home opener Thursday

Juan Villa / Collegian File Photo
After two tournaments on the road, ̢۪Dogs return home

After two grueling tournaments, three canceled or postponed games, and months of practice, the eight newcomers to the Fresno State softball team will finally see their first home game Thursday night, when the team takes on Utah Valley University (UVU) at Bulldog Diamond.

The team has earned this home game after playing five games in last weekend̢۪s Cathedral City Classic (CCC). After playing powerhouse teams like No. 6 UCLA and No. 2 Florida, they should get some relief and a confidence boost against a break in Top 25 competition in the form of UVU.

Utah Valley is 2-3 on the year and had its last three scheduled games canceled. The school is in its final year of provisional Division I status before it will become a full D-I school, next year.

This is the only break the team will get before heading to Lakewood, California for yet another tournament.

Wright anticipates ‘entertaining game’

Fans who went to games in previous years will notice a change in the stadium. A berm was added to the outfield during the offseason that will allow fans to sit on the outfield grass to watch the game. Blankets and chairs can be brought to sit on, but alcohol is not allowed on the stadium grounds.

Head coach Margie Wright expressed relief after playing the tough games of the CCC.

“We don’t know much about Utah Valley. We’re just excited to come home,â€Â Wright said.

She also strongly encouraged the student body to attend the game. “I hope the students will come out. It definitely will be an entertaining game.â€Â

While the Bulldogs suffered eight run losses against the two highest-ranked teams they played last weekend, Wright insisted that those games aren̢۪t a cause for discouragement.

“People looking at the score get disappointed, but you’ve got to keep it in perspectiveâ€Â said Wright. “We’ve gotta stay the course – we’re still very young.â€Â

While Fresno State lost to UCLA, they were the first team the Bruins have played this season who did not allow a home run during the game.

Seeing UCLA early in the season may also help the team prepare for the postseason.

There is a good chance the Bulldogs might play the Bruins again at that point.

Pitcher Morgan Melloh also joined the 500-career strikeout club and freshman Mackenzie Oakes picked up her first career win during the weekend.

The game against UVU begins at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, Feb . 26. It’s “Hero’s Nightâ€Â at Bulldog Diamond.

Admission is free for students with a student ID.