graduation 2024

So you want to be a Bulldog…

Bryan Cole / Collegian File Photo
Fresno State football signed a strong defensive class in 2009, but it is highlighted by a familiar, four-star quarterback of the future

Even with a coaching staff with three empty positions and a disappointing finish to the 2008 season, football coach Pat Hill was still able to reel in a strong 2009 recruiting class.

As recruits across the nation faxed letters to their school of choice, the Bulldog football program welcomed 14 high school players to the recruiting class of 2009 Wednesday on national signing day.

Although the class is highlighted with highly rated recruits and players who could have signed with other programs, Hill still refused to compare the recruiting class to previous years.

“I am not into two-stars, three-stars or four-stars,â€Â Hill said. “I’m into football players.â€Â

And with the introduction of his thirteenth recruiting class, the veteran coach felt like he found the kind of football players that fit his team̢۪s pedigree: tough, hard-nosed and aggressive.

Brown brings speed

The focus of the class this year was to improve the defensive side of the ball and add speed to a unit that struggled mightily in 2008. Of the 14 in the class, 11 are expected to play defense with the ’Dogs – most notably linebacker Travis Brown.

Brown, son of Bulldog defensive coordinator Dan Brown, is a four-star recruit out of Clovis West High School with speed, a quality missing from the line-backing corps recently.

“I think that anyone who has watched high school football in Fresno will attest that Travis Brown is as good of a linebacker that has played in Fresno in the last 13 years,â€Â Hill said.

According to Hill, Brown is a player that could find his way onto the field in 2009 and may not redshirt.

Hill likes Rouse’s confidence

Another Bulldog recruit that could be making an instant impact with the team is tailback Robbie Rouse, from Madison High School in San Diego. Hill compared Rouse to former Bulldog Clifton Smith in his play-making ability, and his chance to be a “slashâ€Â player.

Even though Fresno State seems to have a strong stable of running backs already on the depth chart, Rouse felt confident in his ability to play soon with the team – and that is what sold Hill.

“Everybody that was recruiting against us said, ‘You know, they have all of those running backs,’â€Â Hill said. “They put a list of six guys in front of [Rouse] and it didn’t phase him. I like that kind of confidence.â€Â

Carr will seek to prove himself

While the Bulldogs attempted to fill needs on their defense and find a spark in the return game with the 2009 recruiting class, Hill̢۪s biggest find is already with the team.

Quarterback Derek Carr, younger brother of former Bulldog David Carr, graduated from high school a semester early and is already preparing for the 2009 season.

Landing the four-star recruit was easier than expected for Hill. He said that Carr actually called him about playing in Fresno.

“When Derek called me and said, ‘Coach, I’ve talked it over with my brother and with my family and I want to be a Bulldog,’ I almost fell out of my chair,â€Â Hill said.

Carr will be expected to compete for the vacant starting quarterback position in 2009, but according to Hill, there is no controversy.

“I don’t know if it’s quarterback controversy, but there will be a lot of competition,â€Â Hill said.

The coach felt that Derek was a calm and collect passer in the pocket, and threw an accurate deep ball, very similar to his older brother.

While Derek still has everything to prove under center, he is comfortable in his own skin and in being the second Carr to play for Hill.

“You can call me Dave’s little brother until I prove something,â€Â Derek Carr said. “I am just glad to be his brother.â€Â

Many will hesitate to crown Carr as the next starting quarterback of the Bulldogs. The team currently has three signal callers on the roster. David Carr felt like the competition will be healthy for his brother and hopes he will be up to the challenge.

“It took me three years to even start here. There is going to be a learning curve,â€Â David Carr said. “If he physically can get his body there, I know mentally he’ll be fine.â€Â

Hill wants “the best”

On top of the 14 recruits that signed on Wednesday and Carr, the Bulldogs already have eight players who have begun school and will be practicing with the team this spring. Hill felt like new blood in the program may be needed for a rebirth.

But his new class must be willing to put in the necessary work and mature from their high school days.
“You never know about a guy until he is in the heat of battle,â€Â Hill said. “Gym shorts and Nike combines don’t make a player.â€Â

And as for the coach, he feels ready and motivated to tackle the new season and the new start.

“The difference between me and [boxer Oscar] De La Hoya is, I’m going to get up off my stool for 2009,â€Â Hill said. “We’re going to try to give this Valley the best football team it can have.â€Â

2009 Recruits: Offense

Lars Bramer, Offensive Line, 6-5, 260, Clovis, Calif. (Buchanan) ̢۬
Hill says: “Lars is a physical and smart football player. He projects as a good lineman in our program. He was a linemen we targeted early and we are excited he’s joining our program.â€Â

Alex Jefferies, Wide Receiver, 6-1, 180, Rialto, Calif. (Eisenhower)̢۬
Hill says: “Alex is one versatile athlete. He’s played a lot of different positions in high school. I think he will be a playmaker in our offense as a receiver.â€Â

Robbie Rouse, Running Back, 5-7, 185, San Diego, Calif. (Madison)̢۬
Hill says: “Robbie is a playmaker who fits into the mold of Clifton Smith. Regardless of his size, he’s a great football player. He can make you miss and go the distance every time he touches the football. Robbie is quick, explosive and is very strong. He’s going to be one very exciting Bulldog.â€Â

Matt Hunt*, Offensive Line, 6-2, 315, Carson, Calif.

Anthony Johnson*, Wide Receiver, 6-0, 180, Bakersfield, Calif.

Austin Wentworth*, Offensive Line, 6-5, 305, Rocklin, Calif.

*Denotes a player that signed in February of 2008, but will begin playing as a true freshman in 2009.

2009 Recruits: Defense

Erik Brown, Cornerback, 5-11, 185, Scottsdale, Ariz. (Saguaro)
Hill says: “Erik Brown is a tremendous athlete who I expect to see making an impact on our team early in his career.â€Â

Travis Brown, Linebacker, 6-2, 235, Fresno, Calif. (Clovis West)̢۬
Hill says: “Travis Brown was born to be a Bulldog. He’s been around our program nearly all his life.â€Â

J.B. Dock, Cornerback, 5-10, 165, Ventura, Calif. (Saint Bonaventure)
Hill says: “He’s got good speed and gets to the ball in a hurry.â€Â

Nat Harrison, 6-2, 215, Athlete, Fresno, Calif. (Edison)̢۬
Hill says: “He played defensive end in high school but we like his position flexibility on defense.â€Â

Andy Jennings, Defensive Line, 6-3, 240, Turlock, Calif. (Pitman)
Hill says: 
“He has great growth potential and I like his motor and toughnessâ€Â

Ben Letcher, Defensive Line, 6-3, 240, Corona, Calif. (Centennial)̢۬
Hill says: “Ben has some raw skills that we can develop into a premier pass rusher.â€Â

Nikko Motta, Athlete, 6-3, 275, Sanger, Calif. (Sanger) ̢۬
Hill says: â€ÂHe plays the game with great passion. He’s a powerful player who dominated games with his speed and strength. He plays the game with an attitude.â€Â

Ibe Nduka, Athlete, 6-0, 220, Etiwanda, Calif. (Etiwanda)̢۬
Hill says: “He has long arms, like a player who’s 6’5â€Â and he plays the game the way it should be.â€Â

Donahvaughn “Donnieâ€Â Pritchett, Defensive Line 6-5, 290 Santa Rosa, Calif. (Santa Rosa Junior College)

Hill says: “We don’t take too many junior college players, but he is a special player and person.â€Â

Patrick Su̢۪a, Linebacker, 6-2, 215, Bakersfield, Calif. (Highland)̢۬
Hill says: “He’s explosive and quick and will add a lot to our linebacking corps.â€Â

Jeremiah Toma, Linebacker, 6-0, 215, Sacramento, Calif. (Grant)
Hill says: “When you watch Jeremiah he reminded me of Marcus Riley. He’s a playmaker on the field.â€Â

Marcel Jensen, Defensive Line*, 6-6, 265, Fairfield, Calif.

L.J. Jones*, Defensive Back, 5-11, 170, Encino, Calif.

Damion Whittington*, Linebacker, 6-1, 235, Norco, Calif.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Chowchilla ThrillaFeb 6, 2009 at 12:32 am

Just glad it isn’t ‘B.J. Dock’—– that would be funny in more than one way.

Chowchilla ThrillaFeb 6, 2009 at 7:32 am

Chowchilla ThrillaFeb 6, 2009 at 12:31 am

Still don’t know why Hill doesn’t recruit more on the central coast. Untapped resource for college football talents who are overlooked. Get off of Carr—-Eb Feathers is the QB we need. Has speed, raw ability, smarts, and is the athlete usually successful in major college games—–if we ever play in one.

Chowchilla ThrillaFeb 6, 2009 at 7:31 am