Rent not to own

If you could rent a $100 textbook for $37, would you? After five years of college, I have found only one thing everyone can agree on: textbooks are expensive.

With the cost of a college education increasing at almost double the rate of inflation, any break should be a welcomed one. As the economy worsens and the state budget sits in shambles, students can probably expect fees to rise.

The Kennel Bookstore is renting textbooks at almost a third of the cost of a new copy. So what could be bad about that? Students could use the help, right?

Unfortunately, with the rental program in its second year of operation, there are only three textbooks available for rent. Why only three?

The only potential candidates for the rental program are lower division courses with a history of high enrollment rates for both spring and fall. To make matters worse, the instructor of the course has to commit to using the same book for four consecutive semesters.

Students interested in seeing more titles available for rent are encouraged to talk to their instructors. That should not be too hard. Almost every semester I have an instructor who admits regret when discussing the cost of their required textbook. What a better way to show your students that you really do care than by actually helping them save some cash?

I have quite a collection of textbooks that I have no idea what to do with now. Coincidentally, almost every one is a general education textbook I was “stuck with.â€Â I would like to think students and instructors could take the initiative and expand the program to upper division courses, too.

As a transfer student, I will not personally benefit from the rental program, but as a first generation college student, I encourage any program designed to save students money.

Therefore, I think if you are not interested in keeping a textbook like Bioinquiry and you are confident you can return it on time, I recommend renting.

Penalties for late return range from a small charge to the cost of replacing the book. When you sign the contract to rent the book you also agree to have your transcripts put on hold if you do not return the book or fail to pay the replacement cost of an unreturned textbook. Although the penalties may seem a bit harsh, the bookstore is protecting its investment and students should be responsible enough to adhere to the signed contract anyhow.

When you return your book, it goes through no more of an inspection than a buyback book would, just to quell rumors I have heard. Unless you rip the book in half trying to impress your friends with your magnificent strength, as I have seen done, you should be good at semester̢۪s end.

$100
$500

$100
$500

MellissaFeb 4, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I agree, textbook prices are way too high and if more books were offered for rent, students would be truly grateful in saving money…however there are other companies that offer this service. Skoobit.com also rents textbooks and they have a vast amount, offering textbooks to students all over the country. Great service and shipping is free both ways..

MellissaFeb 5, 2009 at 12:42 am

ChrisFeb 2, 2009 at 9:31 am

I’m also angered at the cost of books (and what to do with them at the end of the year!). Next semester I’m going to give online book rental a try. I heard Bookswim just started offering textbook rentals and have a bigger selection than the local bookstore.
    Cheers, Chris

ChrisFeb 2, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Cheers, Chris