Out of harm̢۪s way

Photo illustration by Bryan Cole / The Collegian
ASI budget is still safe from crisis despite lower enrollments next year

Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) has not been affected by the state budget crisis yet but said it is looking to the future and focusing on student needs during this difficult economic time.

“Because we are a fee-based organization, we don’t really have to deal with the uncertainty of the state’s budget,â€Â ASI President Graham Wahlberg said.

ASI Vice President of Finance Lauren Johnson said ASI has not been affected because it works with a set revenue and budget.

“We start out with a specific amount of money and we spend it,â€Â Johnson said. “ASI is not dependent on receiving any additional funding.â€Â

Johnson said she is currently working on putting together ASI̢۪s budget for the 2009 Р2010 school year.

ASI̢۪s funding is directly related to how many students are enrolled at Fresno State. Each year ASI receives a portion of every student̢۪s fees.

“We are really looking at the projections for next year with the enrollment freezes in mind,â€Â Johnson said.

Johnson said that ASI will not receive as much money next year simply because there will not be as many students enrolled. “We will be getting less revenue due to less enrollment,â€Â she said. “That will be the most direct way we are affected because we will receive significantly less [funding] than this current year.â€Â

For the 2008 – 2009 school year, ASI had $623,325 from student fees to use at its disposal. For the 2009 – 2010 school year, ASI projects it will have $611,445.

Johnson said that although they will have less money from student fees, ASI will supplement its budget with money from reserves.

Potential ‘internal’ cuts, competitive funding

In preparing the budget for next year, Johnson said she is keeping the economy in mind.

“If we do have to cut spending, it will be internal and not to the detriment of the student body,â€Â she said.

Johnson said to do so, she is trying to minimize overhead costs as much as possible, but some things, such as rent, are fixed costs and will always be there.

One example of how ASI is cutting costs is that they have started e-mailing senate and finance meeting packets to save on printing costs. “It is saving some money and we are doing our part to help the environment,â€Â Johnson said.

Any program that is currently funded through ASI will not suffer, but programs seeking ASI funding that have not received it in the past might. “We are all adamant to keep programs that students use and students like, such as the campus readership program,â€Â Wahlberg said.

Wahlberg and Johnson said they expect to see more funding proposals from campus organizations looking to supplement traditional funding that may have been cut because of the economy.

“There are going to be a lot more programs requesting funding than in the past. We do not anticipate getting rid of any current programs but the competition for new proposals will be more competitive,â€Â Wahlberg said.

ASI seeks to provide furniture, laptops

ASI said that despite the poor economy, its main concern is students.

ASI is working on more programs, such as the book and laptop rental programs, to alleviate the cost of being a student.

ASI recently spent roughly $90,000 on new computers for the laptop rental program. Those computers will be available when the new library opens.

ASI is also in talks to help furnish the library. “If we can use our money to help the library, then, ultimately, we are helping students,â€Â Johnson said.

Wahlberg said that ASI is working on a way to help students deal with stress and lack of sleep by providing a place on campus where students can go to relax and sleep.

“We are working on creating a space that students will feel comfortable in,â€Â Wahlberg said.

Wahlberg: ASI should provide ‘stability’

President Welty has announced a budget summit for Feb. 12 to discuss proposals and talk about where cuts should be made.

Wahlberg said ASI has held focus groups to hear student concerns and suggestions.

“ASI is making sure that students’ interests are heard,â€Â he said.

Wahlberg said students who have suggestions or concerns regarding the budget can voice them through ASI.

“Students do not have a say where a lot of their fees are spent, but they can be sure that ASI will listen and spend their fees the way they want them to be spent,â€Â he said.

“What is important during this time is that students can look to ASI for some stability.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

• F

frankFeb 24, 2009 at 12:03 pm

god bless Lauren

• F

frankFeb 24, 2009 at 7:03 pm

god bless Lauren

AnthonyFeb 11, 2009 at 11:58 pm

I’m grateful to have the representation of ASI on campus. ASI does a lot more than people see on the surface. It takes a lot of work behind the scenes to prepare the budgets, hold meetings, prepare for activities,etc. to keep programs on campus running smoothly. Thank you everyone in ASI who is volunteering countless hours to make our school better.

AnthonyFeb 11, 2009 at 4:58 pm

BritneyFeb 11, 2009 at 11:42 am

I agree, ASI was off to a rough start in the beginning and a lot of that scrutiny gets carried on to new and current executives. Sometimes organizations face bad years. That doesn’t excuse the high turnover rate, but that wasn’t ASI’s problem, it was the problem of the people who came into office who weren’t able to keep the position. I don’t think that ASI is an inherently bad organization because of what happened with previous executives, though. We’re all college students and mistakes are made–it’s just that the previous executives got caught for their mistakes.

It is frustrating as students to see an organization that exists to represent them appearing to fail. But despite the turnovers, I really think that ASI is still doing its ultimate mission to serve students. If nothing else, ASI supports (funds) a lot of popular and useful programs that are for students and for that it shouldn’t be regarded as useless organization.

BritneyFeb 11, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Whew!Feb 11, 2009 at 11:33 am

Yes, you’re right. Those are. But how about its meaningless execs who a) can’t seem to stay in office and b) can’t seem to stay away from the booze? I mean, I guess the one exception is the VP that’s been there since the beginning….but still. Theres a ton of expenses for these people that cant even keep their positions. And they’re supposed to represent me? Ha!

Whew!Feb 11, 2009 at 6:33 pm

BritneyFeb 11, 2009 at 11:28 am

I’m curious as to what you think is meaningless about the services ASI provides. I know that the laptop loaner program ASI entirely funds is probably one of the most used services on campus. Additionally, nearly every club event held on campus is in some way funded by ASI. ASI also supports Intramurals, the pool on campus, and funds the New York Times, Fresno Bee, and USA Today on-campus. Call the services meaningless if you’d like, but the services are used, popular, and present throughout the campus community.

BritneyFeb 11, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Whew!Feb 11, 2009 at 11:17 am

Whew! I for one am so thankful that ASI’s budget won’t be affected. The meaningless services it provides, right down to the staff salaries it spends and the executives’ plush offices and cell stipends, won’t be touched! Hallelujah!

Whew!Feb 11, 2009 at 6:17 pm