No time for excuses

Sarah Gilbert / Collegian File Photo

LACROSSE OPENING GAME PREVIEW

With only one day before its first game, the women̢۪s lacrosse team prepares for the Cal Bears

After spending several months teaching a brand new sport on campus, first-year coach Sue Behme will get to see how much the new Fresno State women̢۪s lacrosse team has learned when they take the field for the first time at Bulldog Stadium on Feb. 7.

Behme has her team going through long practice sessions before their first regular season game this week.

“We’re just trying to get through practice today,â€Â Behme said. “It’s been a long week for us because we’re out here four hours a day, but that’s the only way we can get better.â€Â

Fresno State̢۪s first opponent is the University of California-Berkeley, who last season finished with a 4-1 record in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF), which is the same conference the Bulldogs will play in.

Cal comes into Bulldog Stadium with 2008 MPSF Coach of the Year Theresa Sherry leading the Golden Bears. Sherry has 2008 All-MPSF selection Alyse Kennedy going against a young and inexperienced Fresno State squad.

The Bulldogs previously played against Cal as part of four 25-minute scrimmage games along with Stanford, UC Santa Barbara and UC Davis.

Sarah Gilbert / Collegian File Photo

“They’re not going to be the same team that we saw last weekend, and we’re not going to be the same team they saw,â€Â Behme said. “I coach my team like I would coach an elite team, and that’s what we are building here.â€Â

Jack a program cornerstone for young team

One player that Behme is building her team around is sophomore Heather Jack, who was the former lacrosse club president while attending the University of Nevada during the 2006-07 season.

Jack also lettered in lacrosse and was a two-time Texas state lacrosse team member while in high school.

Behme has been very impressed with her work ethic and attitude.

“Jack’s enthusiasm is contagious,â€Â Behme said. “I think her positive energy has helped lead us and keep us focused on the right things.â€Â

Even though she̢۪s only a sophomore, Jack̢۪s lacrosse experience will have to play a significant role this weekend.

“For 17 of our girls, it’s their first game,â€Â Jack said. “Leadership-wise, I have taken that role, but its just being someone who helps out and gives guidance when they need it. I think a lot of what’s happened this week has been people being nervous about this game. But I’m calming them and reminding them that they’re there to win the game.â€Â

Jack has already been pleased with the effort of her teammates after the scrimmages last week.

“We learned a lot from last weekend and it was a great help for us,â€Â Jack said. “We did film this week and we watched our scrimmages; we basically know what we have to look for,â€Â Jack said.

Fresno State̢۪s match against Cal will be one of three home games for the Bulldogs. Their next one won̢۪t be until April 4, when they face the Saint Mary̢۪s Gaels. Then they finish their home matches with the University of Denver on April 13.

Making Bulldog history

Freshman Michelle Rose is excited about running on the Bulldog Stadium field tomorrow.

“We did pretty good the first time, but we want to show Cal that we’re not an average team,â€Â Rose said. “We’ve had some great coaches who tell us everything we need to know.â€Â

Rose has also received some great support before her first collegiate lacrosse game.

“Even people I don’t know tell me, ‘Yeah, lacrosse, let’s go!,’ and I’m glad they’re as much into it as we are,â€Â Rose said.

Rose̢۪s head coach is just excited to see her team take the field for the first time inside Bulldog Stadium, with a fan base that will now have a new sport to cheer for.

“I’m just so excited to see these girls come out of the tunnel and say ‘Wow, I’m at Bulldog stadium and this is the first game ever.’ And they’ll never forget that,â€Â Behme said.