Grad student covers dismissed UHS teacher̢۪s music classes

University High School (UHS) has hired a Fresno State graduate student to fill in for the music teacher who was dismissed in late January.

Jennifer Dean, who earned her bachelor̢۪s degree in music education and is now pursuing a master̢۪s degree in flute performance, has replaced Jonathan McCoy Malcolm for the time being, Dr. James Bushman, head of school at University High School, said.

On Jan. 29, Malcolm was arrested on charges of distribution of lewd material and annoyance or molestation of a minor.

After an emergency board of officials meeting on Jan. 30, University High School announced that Malcolm would no longer be serving as a music instructor for the school.

Amy Armstrong, public information officer for the University Police Department, said she could not comment on the status of the case because it is still under investigation.

Two-day transition ‘seamless’

Dean will take on Malcolm̢۪s responsibilities as music director for the rest of the semester, Bushman said.

Those duties include serving as an instrumental music teacher, teaching music theory classes and conducting the various musical ensemble groups.

Bushman said that after Malcolm was dismissed, University High School was able to get Dean into the classroom in less than 48 hours.

“No classes were missed. We were able to move seamlessly without problems,â€Â he said.

“While [the incident] was clearly a disruption, we were able to transition through the problem quickly.â€Â

The classes have picked up right where they left off. The students have performances scheduled in May that they will continue to rehearse and prepare for under Dean̢۪s guidance.

“I plan on doing the best that I can with the bands that I teach,â€Â Dean said. “I want them to have a musical learning experience followed by a wonderful end of the year concert.â€Â

Bushman said since the incident, “The kids are doing great. There were a lot of questions and doubts about what was going on but as the kids became more aware, they understood what was going on and have now moved on.â€Â

Fresno State student to fill position after May

All students who attend University High School participate in some sort of musical education including orchestra, band, choir and music theory.

Because Malcolm played a key role in all of these areas, three additional graduate students have also stepped in to help teach University High School̢۪s music department.

Bushman said he will post a full-time job announcement soon but that Dean and the graduate students will carry the program through this semester.

Bushman said that hiring Fresno State students to fill these positions helps carry out Fresno State̢۪s mission to create better educational opportunities. He said University High School serves as a lab for Fresno State students interested in education and even though the way it came about is unfortunate, this is a perfect example of that relationship.

“We feel lucky that we were able to collaborate with the music department to enrich our own students and the graduate students,â€Â Bushman said.

“I have only heard uniformed praise for our new teacher.â€Â

“This experience is tremendous,â€Â Dean said.

“I hope to gain knowledge that turns to wisdom.â€Â

She added that this experience is different than others she has had in the past.

She is learning to manage and organize while learning techniques that work and troubleshooting those that don̢۪t.

Dean says she hopes her students learn independence and self-discipline but her ultimate goal is for them to enjoy what they do.

“I hope to inspire the kids and show them proof that life is always positive when you believe it is,â€Â she said.

“Music should be a fun experience. It touches a different side of you that you probably didn’t realize you had.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

A.C. SlaterMar 1, 2009 at 2:46 pm

It’s a music course——-just because the young lady is a grad student doesn’t make her less qualified than a PhD. A formal education theoretically doesn’t make a better musician. Writing a thesis in some soft-core music topic doesn’t make one greater than Bach or the like—-she could be the next big thing. And good luck to her. She has her hands full with those spoiled, entitled and socially deprived children.

A.C. SlaterMar 1, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Dr. JusticeFeb 28, 2009 at 12:53 am

I am still surprised that Mr.Malcolm has not been charged by the DA; evidence is most likley not that damning…such a strange world we live in.
    No offense to Mrs. Dean, but UHS has just replaced an experienced and talented teacher with a grad student…it’s remarkable that Dr. Bushman can brag about it. How is it going to affect the “kids” musical education prospects?
    Finally, it’s infuriating to hear Dr. Bushman asserting that “as the kids became more aware, they understood what was going on”; no one knows about what’s going on, and certainly not the faculty, staff or students/parents of UHS. Implying that the UHS community is now in the know (oh, such terrible things this Malcolm guy did, now the kids know!) is just hearsay.

Dr. JusticeFeb 28, 2009 at 7:53 am