George leads ̢۪Dogs in win

Sarah Gilbert / The Collegian
Paul George and Sylvester Seay combine for 52 points to push Bulldogs past second-place Boise State in second conference win of the season

It has been a tough month to say the least for the men̢۪s basketball team, but Monday night the Bulldogs gave the fans at the Save Mart Center something to cheer about. They snapped a three-game conference losing streak with a win over Boise State, 88-82, to̢۬ improve their record to 10-14, 2-7 in the WAC.

The ̢۪Dogs entered the game against the WAC̢۪s second place team, coming off their worst loss of the season last week to Hawaii, 69-43. In that game, Fresno State only managed to score 10 points in̢۬the first half. ̢۬

“We certainly didn’t show up in the game against Hawaii,â€Â coach Steve Cleveland said. “We had no energy, but it was good to be back home against a good Boise team and our offense looked a lot better.â€ÂÃ¢€¨

The Bulldogs came out with plenty of energy against the Broncos, scoring 11 points before the first media timeout at the 16 minute mark, and more points — 45 — in the first half than they scored all game against Hawaii. 

Cleveland says he knows his team is inconsistent right now, but insists it̢۪s not from lack of effort.̢۬

“Games like the one against Hawaii are going to happen, because we‘ve played our starting lineup 30-40 minutes a game all season,â€Â Cleveland said. “The guys are tired, but give it their all each night. We’re not deep enough right now, so the rotation won’t change.â€ÂÃ¢€¨

‘George and Seay carried us tonight’

The Bulldog̢۪s lack of depth showed as the Bronco̢۪s bench outscored Fresno State̢۪s 23-3. However, it didn̢۪t matter as freshman Paul George led the way, scoring a career-high 29 points while̢۬ recording his sixth double-double of the season.

George had his best ̢۬all-around performance of the season with 10 rebounds, four assists, ̢۬three steals and two blocks while shooting 9-of-11 from the field, 3-of-4 from three-point range and made all eight of his free throws. ̢۬

“It felt good tonight,â€Â said George. “I hadn’t been shooting it well the last couple games. But my teammates found me when I was open and I let the game come to me.â€ÂÃ¢€¨

The Bulldogs were in control from the opening tip, but the̢۬ Broncos did make a run late in the first half to cut the lead to 33-29.

Sylvester Seay added 23 points for the Bulldogs, and an important ̢۬three-pointer as time expired in the first half to cap off a 12-0 run and give the ̢۪Dogs a 45-29 halftime lead. ̢۬

The momentum carried over to the second half as Boise State trailed by as many as 18 points. The Broncos’ center, Kurt Cunningham, tied his career high, scoring 20 points and rallied Boise State to within four with 31 seconds remaining.

Matt Weir / The Collegian

But it wasn̢۪t any different down the stretch for the Broncos who couldn̢۪t stop the Bulldogs all night as Fresno State shot 52 percent from the field. ̢۬

Cleveland says everyone stepped up against Boise State, but there̢۪s no way they would have won without the performances from George and Seay.

“George and Seay carried us tonight,â€Â Cleveland said. “These two guys are the center piece for the future of our program.â€Â

Team adapts to O’Neil’s absence

As for senior Dwight O̢۪Neil who was not on the bench Monday night, the team will soon announce what action it plans to take in reaction to reinstating O̢۪Neil or not.

Even though George is someone who doesn̢۪t particularly take many shots, he is aware the team needs his scoring to be successful for the remainder of the season.

“Ever since the loss of Dwight, I have assumed more of a leader role with such a young team,â€Â George said. “With what’s left of the season, our team will continue to grow, and I do feel we have a legitimate chance to get hot and win the WAC Tournament.â€Â

With the exception of New Mexico State and Hawaii, the ̢۪Dogs have been competitive in every conference game this season.

But Cleveland knows how tough conference wins are to come by.

“It takes a great amount of effort, and a lot of things have to go right in order to win one conference game let alone string a couple together in a tournament,â€Â Cleveland said.

Cleveland thanks fans

After the game against Boise State, the fans gave the Bulldogs a standing ovation, knowing how big the win was for the team̢۪s confidence.

“We’ve had a lot more downs than ups lately,â€Â Cleveland said. “We appreciate the crowd sticking with us through everything, and will continue to fight and give the fans what they deserve: a winning team.

The Bulldogs have seven remaining conference games and will look to build off the win over the Broncos Thursday night, when they travel to play Louisiana Tech.

Louisiana Tech is currently in eighth place in the WAC.

The game will be televised on Bulldog Sports Network, Comcast channel 13, at 5 p.m.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Millard FillsmoreFeb 12, 2009 at 12:35 am

big deal

Millard FillsmoreFeb 12, 2009 at 7:35 am

big deal