Bulldog Game Day

Player to watch: Sylvester Seay, Forward
Sarah Gilbert / The Collegian

REDWAVE PODCAST GAME OF THE WEEK: MEN̢۪S BASKETBALL SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 28, AT 7 P.M., SAVE MART CENTER

Fresno State Bulldogs (11-17, 2-10 WAC) vs. Idaho Vandals (13-13, 6-6 WAC)

Breakdown: Bulldogs

With a terrible conference record, the Bulldogs do not have any hope left of winnging the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).

But what the Bulldogs do have left to play for is the WAC tournament.

Fresno State will likely finish the season in last place and will be in the play-in game before the WAC tournament.

In their remaining three games, the Bulldogs need to solidify their play, especially on the defensive end.
The Bulldogs have three remaining games, including their matchup Saturday night against Idaho. The conference game against a decent Idaho team will be a right time for the Bulldogs to prepare if they hope to find any success in the conference tournament.

Saturday will be the final home game of the season, and if the Bulldogs can get their defense in order, the game should be close and exciting for the Red Wave.

Junior forward Sylvester Seay and sophomore forward New Golubovic have both been strong on the offensive end, but the post players need to keep the Vandals out of the lane or at least contest shots in the paint.

If Seay can keep his defensive energy up and still manage to score his usual 15 points on Saturday, the Bulldogs will feel good going on the road for the final two games.

The Bulldogs are now playing for the WAC tournament, but the last three game of the year will decide if they make it past the play-in game.

Breakdown: Vandals

Idaho comes into the game against the Bulldogs riding a three game winning streak.

The Vandals find themselves in the middle of the conference, and could use a win for positioning in the WAC Tournament as they currently sit at fifth in the WAC. Therefore, Idaho look for Idaho to come out with a lot of energy early.

The Vandals play a similar style to the Bulldogs, but are a bit more efficient.

Idaho doesn̢۪t rebound the ball well, but neither does Fresno State. However, Idaho doesn̢۪t turn the ball over as much and shoots 46 percent from the field.

Both teams play mostly from the perimeter, and if the Vandals are going to win, they must find junior guard Mac Hopson.

Hopson is coming off being named WAC Player of the Week, and averages 17 points per game and shoots nearly 50 percent from beyond the arc. Hopson is also the second leading rebounder on the team at only 6̢۪2.

Idaho does have other scorers though, featuring five players who average eight points or more. And not one of the five shoot less than 42 percent from the field.

If the Vandals can get out and run, look for the quickness of Idaho to force many turnovers.

Idaho has struggled on the road this year as they are only 3-10 away from home.

But if they are able to play at their pace, the Vandals will walk away from the Save Mart Center with another conference win.

Keys to Victory

The Bulldogs win if …
Post defenders can keep Vandal scorers, especially guard Mac Hopson, from getting easy points.

The Vandals win if …
Their defense can get ̢۪Dogs̢۪ scorers Paul George and Mychal Ladd frustrated in the early minutes

By Logan Hopkins and George Stepanoff Jr. / The Collegian