Bulldog Game Day

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

MEN̢۪S BASKETBALL Fresno State Bulldogs (10-16, 2-9 WAC) vs. Hawaii Warriors (12-12, 4-8 WAC)

Breakdown: Bulldogs

The Bulldogs are coming off a deflating overtime road loss to the New Mexico State Aggies.

Steve Cleveland̢۪s team was leading by seven with less than two minutes remaining, but the Aggies rallied back to force overtime.

In the extra minutes, Fresno State fell apart and surrendered yet another conference loss down the stretch.

The loss was eerily similar to the ’Dogs’ loss on the road against Utah State and has become a common theme – crumpling under pressure.

Cleveland̢۪s group is full of talent, but the lack of experience and depth hurts them when the game is on the line late.

If Fresno State is to have a chance against the Warriors, scorers must convert shots late and keep a comfortable lead in the second half.

Guard Mychal Ladd has been a reliable source of offense for the Bulldogs, but he and other scorers have been too quiet late in games.

If Ladd and the Bulldogs can find a killer instinct and put the Warriors away early, they won̢۪t have to worry about closing the game out.

If scorers continue to disappear and over-pass the ball, Fresno State̢۪ offense will become stagnant and will fail to progress.

Expect a large crowd to support the ̢۪Dogs on national TV and a high-scoring contest to keep fans interested.

Breakdown: Warriors

Hawaii enters the game in a similar situation to the Bulldogs.

The Warriors are coming off a heart-breaking 47-46 loss at home to the Nevada Wolf Pack.

The Warriors play much better at home, posting a 11-7 record at the Stan Sheriff Center and need to take advantage of games on the island.

Away from home, the Warriors have only one victory in six tries. For Hawaii to pick up its second road win of the season, juniors Roderick Flemmings and Bill Amis will need to keep the Save Mart Center quiet.

Flemmings and Amis are the only two Warriors averaging more than 10 points a game and are also the two leading rebounders on the team.

Rebounding will be a strength for the Warriors and will keep Fresno State from getting second-chance opportunities.

The Warriors will play a different style than the Bulldogs, playing more in the post and taking less 3-point shots.

At this point of the season, the Warriors have much more to play for than the Bulldogs.

Hawaii is in sixth place in the conference, but will keep playing to earn a higher seed in the WAC tournament.

If the Warriors keep the Bulldogs from shooting well from beyond the arc, they should pick up a much-needed conference win.

Keys to Victory

The Bulldogs win if …
Shooting guard Mychal Ladd can effectively penetrate, create his own shots and score 20 points.

The Warriors win if …
Their defense can force the Bulldogs to play an uptempo game, which will generate unnecessary turnovers for the Bulldogs.

Player to watch:
Mychal Ladd, Guard

By Logan Hopkins and George Stepanoff Jr. / The Collegian