Best- and worst-dressed at the Oscars

Photo by McClatchy Tribune

While only a select few were nominated for the 2009 Academy Awards and even fewer won, the one award still up for grabs at the Oscar pre-show is the dreaded worst-dressed label—an award most Hollywood stars do their best to avoid.

Some accomplished this feat with grace and ease, while others made such blatant attacks on the red carpet that they must have wanted the “worstâ€Â title.

Tempting fate

One such fashion no-no was committed by Robin Swicord, who collaborated with Eric Roth on the adapted screenplay for “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.â€Â

With the film up for 13 Oscars, you’d think all its participating writers would make greater efforts to keep the good press coming, but with Swicord’s mismatched silky floral print gown and three-fourths sleeve baby blue jacket, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttonâ€Â has one “Love Guruâ€Â-like blemish on its otherwise spotless record.

As for the worst-dressed male, my vote goes to Mickey Rourke, whose comeback performance in “The Wrestlerâ€Â may have been award winning, but whose white suit and shades combo was overreaching.

Photo by McClatchy Tribune

Eye candy

Of course, not every outfit was as disastrous as Swicord̢۪s or Rourke̢۪s.

Natalie Portman’s lilac purple gown, for example, combined with her poise and lack of need to do ridiculous hand-on-hip and kisses-over-the-shoulder poses like Miley Cyrus, gave her the elegance of a modern princess. All those years playing Queen Amidala in “Star Warsâ€Â really paid off.

Another best dressed winner was singer John Legend, who, like Portman, kept his composure around the cameras. Rourke could take some pointers from Legend, whose simple black suit came off classy, rather than trashy.

Photo by McClatchy Tribune

Photo by McClatchy Tribune
$100
$500

$100
$500

DaveMar 2, 2009 at 5:03 am

freida pinto was the best dressed; just beautiful

DaveMar 2, 2009 at 12:03 pm

A.C. SlaterMar 2, 2009 at 1:15 am

Will everyone get off of of the John Legend bandwagon?!! His music is very average, he’s a punk with some rather outlandish political views (a classier and not as outrageous Kanye West maybe)—-what about his style is so great? Looks like he’s in a suit to me. Yeah, men generally wear dark colored suits to these things……

A.C. SlaterMar 2, 2009 at 8:15 am

AndrewMar 2, 2009 at 12:41 am

Nataly porter is marvelouss

AndrewMar 2, 2009 at 12:41 am

Nataly porter is marvelous

AndrewMar 2, 2009 at 7:41 am

Nataly porter is marvelouss

AndrewMar 2, 2009 at 7:41 am

Nataly porter is marvelous