Baseball tries to put 2008 in the past and prepare for ̢۪09

Jimmy Graben / The Collegian
The Diamond ̢۪Dogs had two inner-squad scrimmages over the weekend

The memories and tales from Omaha will last a lifetime, but it is time for the Bulldog baseball team to focus on the quickly approaching 2009 season.

Fresno State made history over the summer and acquired countless accolades in the process of winning the College World Series (CWS), but the team is trying to put all that behind them and focus on the task at hand.

“We’re all excited to get our [CWS] rings because that is that last deal from last season. After that, we can completely move on to this season,â€Â senior pitcher Holden Sprague said.

Shaping up with scrimmages

The Diamond ̢۪Dogs had two inner-squad scrimmages over the weekend, giving the team a chance to get into game situations and prepare for opening night on Feb. 20, when the Washington Huskies comes to town.

“It was great to have the guys out here and just playing some ball,â€Â junior outfielder Steve Detwiler said.

The Bulldogs haven̢۪t played in a real game since Omaha, but the scrimmages were as close as they have been to the real thing. The inner-squads were not a true game, but did put the Bulldogs in a live situation.

The scrimmages allowed hitters to get at-bats against live pitching. Most pitchers got time on the mound and pinch runners continuously filtered in and out. The coaching staff experimented with players in different positions and tried to put pressure on the pitching staff.

The scoreboard may have been turned off over the weekend, but the scrimmages helped get the team mentally and physically prepared for when the season does begin.

“Freshmen are getting some time that they need to get in, veterans are getting swings in that are needed and pitchers are doing what they need to do,â€Â Detwiler said. “We’re getting there.â€Â

New format brings challenges

But getting prepared for the season is different than it used to be. According to head coach Mike Batesole, the format of college baseball has changed and is putting more pressure on the team in the spring.

In years past, the baseball season began in the fall, with 60 games before the end of the fall semester. Now players are only allowed to practice during the fall and have much less experience when the season opens in the spring.

The Bulldogs only return four pitchers from last season̢۪s run and without the extra time to learn on the mound, the team̢۪s young pitching staff, especially the eight freshmen, will have the most pressure come opening weekend.

“When these guys throw their first pitch in the spring, that’s going to be their first Division I pitch,â€Â Batesole said.

The pitchers may get off to a slow start in the early goings of the season, but Batesole is prepared to bring the young team along and make necessary changes.

‘We know what’s expected’

And his players are not going to use the excuse of inexperience as a crutch.

“You can’t blame what we do in the next three months on our experience, because we are all pitchers and we know what’s expected from us,â€Â Sprague said.

Even though the team has a lot of work to do in preparation for the season and added pressure after recent success, the players are already excited to be back in front of the home crowd.

On opening night, the team will be presented with their CWS rings and a championship flag will be raised for the first time at Beiden field.

And that will be the final curtain call for the 2008 champions, and the introduction of a brand new 2009 team with 18 new players.

“I can’t wait – nobody can wait right now. We are all just really excited,â€Â Detwiler said. “It can’t come soon enough.â€Â

Getting ready for opening night…

The title defense begins in less than two weeks for the Fresno State baseball team.

Here is what to expect come opening night…

̢ۢ The Washington Huskies come to town for a weekend series.

̢ۢ Tickets are going quickly and the game is expected to sell out. Only 400 student tickets are reserved and students are encouraged to get tickets ahead of time. Tickets are free with school I.D.

̢ۢThe team will receive national championship rings and a College World Series flag will be raised.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Wannabe Bulldog from Chico StateFeb 10, 2009 at 10:42 am

Logan
    Great story for baseball. We miss you and Jimmy with the podcast.
    All the best with your new endeavors.

Wannabe Bulldog from Chico State

Wannabe Bulldog from Chico StaFeb 10, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Logan
    All the best with your new endeavors.

Wannabe Bulldog from Chico State