Athlete suspended after arrest

Fresno State track and field athlete De̢۪Vron Walker has been suspended from the team after being arrested early Saturday morning on suspicion of possession of a stolen weapon and possession of a loaded handgun, according to media reports.

According to a report by The Fresno Bee, Fresno police arrested Walker, 19, shortly after his 1987 Buick Regal was stopped near Barstow Avenue and Fresno Street at approximately 4 a.m. Police officers reportedly said they found a stolen .45 caliber magnum pistol on the car̢۪s floorboard and a .25 caliber pistol in his rear pocket.

The report also said that Walker told police he was going to meet a friend with the guns. The Bee also reported that Fresno County Sheriff̢۪s jail records say Walker had two misdemeanor charges of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Walker is a native of Los Angeles, is a freshman hurdler out of Dominguez High School in Compton, where he was a two-time CIF State champion in the 110-meter hurdles.

$100
$500

$100
$500

dkNov 24, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Well first off hes a state champion hurdler, with a lot of ability and hopefully he will get a second chance and not screw it up… and although he is an anonymous person that is expected because track gets no publicity… however dwight o'neal isn't anything special himself and hes darn sure not high profile… i just pray for him.

dwFeb 25, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Well, Fresno State seems to recruit these problems….

The theory seems to be “get the kid off the street, you’ll get the street off the kid.” Doesn’t work that way at times. Walker got stopped wandering into a well-known gang area–Fresno Street between Shaw and Barstow is gang turf. And, he was driving under the influence. Some bad decision making on his part. I wonder if the friend he says he was meeting is a gang member?

dwFeb 26, 2009 at 3:03 am

dkFeb 25, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Well first off hes a state champion hurdler, with a lot of ability and hopefully he will get a second chance and not screw it up… and although he is an anonymous person that is expected because track gets no publicity… however dwight o’neal isn’t anything special himself and hes darn sure not high profile… i just pray for him.

ScoutFeb 24, 2009 at 1:28 pm

At Poppen Fresh comment:
    Haha, thanks, this was a depressing article about another Fresno State athlete who is gonna be more famous for his criminal record now. But luckily, you came along and made a hilarious joke to lighten the mood. Thanks a bunch, bud.

ScoutFeb 24, 2009 at 8:28 pm

At Poppen Fresh comment:

dwFeb 23, 2009 at 8:35 pm

A hurdler isn’t a “high profile” athlete! He isn’t Dwight O’Neill. He’s an anonymous freshman face on and off campus. Plus, one of the guns was stolen, so he’s looking at a felony charge.

Targeted as “driving while black?” Don’t think so in this case. The two DUI charges are: (1)driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs and (2) driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.08 or greater. That’s the standard charging in Fresno County. Usually what happens in court is the DA will drop one of the charges if you’ll plead guilty to the other.

dwFeb 24, 2009 at 3:35 am

• P

Poppen freshFeb 23, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Classic case of ‘driving while black Targeted simply on race prolly He’s a high profile athlete so why hes not able to protect himself….???

• P

Poppen freshFeb 24, 2009 at 3:12 am