ASI̢۪s CSSA vote postponed again

Student leaders Wednesday delayed a vote that would have seen Fresno State rejoin a state lobbying group, after the university parted ways with the organization in 2005.

The topic has been on the Associated Students, Inc. agenda for a month.

A divided ASI instead motioned to form an ad hoc committee headed by four students.

The committee will talk more with current executives, contact the California State Student Association (CSSA) chancellor and weigh the costs and benefits of the move before a final vote is taken in two weeks.

ASI President Graham Wahlberg was unhappy with the motion to postpone the vote after several ASI members voiced concern over potential expenditures.

“I’m accepting of criticism of CSSA, but I’m not really happy with the outcome,â€Â Wahlberg said after the meeting.

ASI divided over whether benefits are worth cost

Joining the CSSA, an organization that represents all 23 CSU campuses and serves as a mouthpiece for more than 400,000 students, would mean Fresno State would have to pay membership dues that exceed $26,000 over the next two years.

At a proposed 60-cent-per-student fee increase, ASI members were divided on the proposal.

“I haven’t seen a lot of doing in the system,â€Â said ASI member Craig Parks, who expressed concern over the appropriation of fees. “Is it worth the $13,000 over two years?â€Â

Wahlberg disagreed. “$13,000 wouldn’t do that much for us if it were invested at the state level,â€Â he said.

Doubting the CSSA̢۪s efficiency isn̢۪t a new occurrence. According to a December 2008 article in The Collegian, several ASI members felt pulling dues from the CSSA was justified, as the organization had been ineffective in its role.

But Wahlberg, a firm believer in joining the organization, thinks the investment is worth the increase.

“When CSSA says something it actually changes something,â€Â Wahlberg said. “I trust in the organization filled with the brightest minds in the CSU system.â€Â

Wahlberg: Fresno State needs state, federal representation

Yet Wahlberg’s vigilance on the matter didn’t bring a resolution. Senator Melissa Mata asked, “Are we going on assurance or good faith?â€Â

Any waiting would only decrease its effectiveness, Wahlberg argued. “If Fresno State is the last to join or holds out, I will be personally embarrassed,â€Â he said.

Rejoining the CSSA is a tough choice for Fresno State.

With California̢۪s budget crisis and the proposed cuts of more than $300 million in the CSU system, Fresno State could arguably use the CSSA̢۪s presence in legislation to advocate for student issues.

“Everyone would agree that during these economic times, decisions aren’t being made at our level,â€Â Wahlberg said. “They’re being made at the state and federal level.â€Â

Joining the CSSA would give Fresno State a voice on Capital Hill and in Washington, the ASI president said.

“There is no other effective way to step our foot in the door. It’s a considerable force in Washington.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

• Y

YeaFeb 22, 2009 at 3:31 am

Yea, Graham is a complete and utter joke. Not only is he incompetent, but he’s also an arrogant asshole that does not respect anyone. It’ll all come back to bite him, though – Fresno is a small place!

• Y

YeaFeb 22, 2009 at 10:31 am

WOWFeb 21, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Once again, Graham shows what an arrogantly inept “leader” he is. USSA is the org for nationwide legislation. First saying he was going to focus on football, then his hypocracy about drinking, not to mention his horrible HORRIBLE speeches, the funny thing is, most of his flubs that people actually know about are written in THIS paper!! And this paper is obviously sworn to protect him, as evident by there reluctance to print his run in with alcohol, although the Fresno Bee did. It’s not their fault though, I mean would you write about your buddy/roomate? How many votes got him elected to this position?

WOWFeb 22, 2009 at 3:11 am

WahlburgTheMoronFeb 20, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Graham, you are a blubbering idiot! Why, do you ask? Because if you knew ANYTHING about CSSA, you’d know that they do NOTHING in Washington DC. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Zip. They only advocate in Sacramento and in Long Beach at the trustees and Chancellor.

Maybe you should think before you open your damn mouth….oh wait, thats just how it works for you.

WahlburgTheMoronFeb 21, 2009 at 12:00 am

• G

gmFeb 20, 2009 at 12:44 pm

If CSSA is that important and ASI truly believes that it will be successful in advocating for students, then take the money from somewhere else in the ASI budget. Choices need to be made. We keep hearing from some student leaders that they are fighting to prevent fee hikes for students and in order to do that … they need to hike fees for students. Choices and cuts are not easy but they need to be made. Student fees ARE going up regardless of what CSSA, ASI or anyone else is telling you. The state is bankrupt and the time has come to prioritize. If this is more important than other things (leadership retreats, cell phones, travel ?) then say so and make the choice to fund it over other things. Quit going back to the students and asking for more and more all the time.

• G

gmFeb 20, 2009 at 7:44 pm

• L

LizaFeb 20, 2009 at 12:31 am

Way to go Wahlberg, its refreshing to see an AS president who gets it. It is an embarrasment to have pulled out in the first place. Fresno State is not immune to the actions of the legislature and does not have in place any other mechanism to represent the needs of those students facing financial distress.

• L

LizaFeb 20, 2009 at 7:31 am

BritneyFeb 20, 2009 at 12:30 am

I think this postponement is a wise decision for ASI. It shows that the Senate is taking this decision seriously and with the utmost care and attention. While this may be the second postponement on the vote, the Senate receives new information regarding CSSA each time, making it hard (I imagine) for the Senate to make such a decision so quickly.

BritneyFeb 20, 2009 at 7:30 am