A Neon Heaven

Bryan Cole / The Collegian
Sierra Vista store now features “Cosmic Showâ€Â

It’s the music that first catches your attention, with its eeriness reminiscent of the show Star Trek – the original Shatner version. Then you see the flashing neon lights and curiosity lures you in.

HEAVENS, a celestial experience like none other in Fresno, opened its doors for business in the Sierra Vista Mall seven months ago. The 3,500 square-foot space is called a “mini complexâ€Â by its owner and creator Amir Sade and his partner, Cornelius Sullivan. This complex boasts an art gallery, gift shop, a 24-seat space theater and a 15-seat “Cosmic Lounge.â€Â

Alex Ramos, 14, and Joseph Balladarez, 17, both Sanger High students, passed through the store a few times and enjoyed what it had to offer.

“It’s amazing in here,â€Â Ramos said. “There’s a lot of interesting electric gadgets; it’s pretty cool.â€Â

Her friend Balladarez shared her enthusiasm.

“It’s both entertaining and educational,â€Â Balladarez said.

The gift shop sells items that the owners say are hard to find, like solar system models, glass spheres, sculptures and one-of-a kind handmade art by store owner Sade.

Recently the store opened up its long-awaited “cosmic loungeâ€Â and 40 minute long “Cosmic Show.â€Â

“The show is not outlandish and it’s not a science show,â€Â Sullivan said. “It’s purely for entertainment purposes and for people of all ages.â€Â

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

Viewer reactions

So far, the shop has given four sneak previews of the “Cosmic Show,â€Â which has received mixed reviews.

Carlos Alcala, a former Fresno State student said he was curious to see what the show was about, but that once he saw it he found that the show didn̢۪t meet his expectations and he actually left within the first five minutes.

“I thought it was going to be different,â€Â said Alcala. “There was smoke in the effects and it just made me want to leave; but the store has pretty cool items that I’ve never seen before.â€Â

Most people who saw last Saturday̢۪s show disagreed with Alcala and found it entertaining.

Jose Martinez, 63, and his friend Claudia Gonzales, 42, enjoyed both the shop and the show.

“It looks like a good beginning,â€Â said Martinez. “They said they will be adding to it through time, and I think it will just get better and better.â€Â

Harvey Campbell, 59, a self-proclaimed space enthusiast, said he thoroughly enjoyed himself.

“I thought it was fantastic,â€Â said Campbell. “The lights, the effects, I just love stuff like this. I would definitely recommend it to a friend.â€Â

See HEAVENS

HEAVENS is open during regular Sierra Vista Mall hours: M-F 10 a.m.-9 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m.-7 p.m. and Sun. 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Call 559-299-5545 for “Cosmic Showâ€Â times. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children 10 and under.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Click here!Aug 10, 2013 at 7:36 am

We’re a bunch of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable info to work on. You have done an impressive activity and our whole community will probably be grateful to you.