‘In the name of justice’

Matt Weir / The Collegian

View this article’s related video.

Protesters say ‘ICE destroys our communities’

The Federal Government Fair brought 66 federal agencies and approximately 145 representatives to the Satellite Student Union yesterday. In addition to bringing students, faculty and staff to check out government job opportunities, the fair attracted controversy and a protest over the presence of one government agency.

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency is under the Department of Homeland Security. According to their Web site’s mission statement, the organization, “protects national security and upholds public safety by targeting criminal networks and terrorist organizations that seek to exploit vulnerabilities in our immigration system, in our financial networks, along our border, at federal facilities and elsewhere in order to do harm to the United States.â€Â

Matt Weir / The Collegian

The protesters claim that ICE unfairly targets Mexican and Latino neighborhoods and is tearing apart families and communities.

“They just go to neighborhoods where they know there is more working class people,â€Â Walter Ramirez, a protester, said. “They are discriminating. It is clearly based on skin color,â€Â he said.

Ramirez said that one way ICE is breaking families apart is by deporting illegal immigrants who have children that are U.S. citizens. He said he is protesting against family division and community destruction. “Our goal is to prevent this organization from coming back to campus to recruit students,â€Â Ramirez said.

“They’re planting fear in the community. A lot of people now are afraid to go to work. A lot of kids are afraid to go to school because they might deport their parents. A lot of people are afraid even to go to the corner or to the grocery store to buy their food because they are afraid they are going to be stopped by ICE,â€Â Ramirez said.

Although ICE declined to comment to The Collegian, according to their Web site, “ICE enacted a multi-year strategy of improving immigration enforcement through more efficient management, focused enforcement efforts that target the most dangerous illegal aliens, worksite enforcement initiatives that target employers who defy immigration law and reducing the pull of the ‘jobs magnet’ that draws illegal workers across the border in search of employment.â€Â

Matt Weir / The Collegian

Protesters argue the necessity of the “undocumented”

Rosanna Rios-Spicer, another protester, said she wants to make sure people visiting the fair receive equal information. “Particularly how ICE destroys our communities and how there are alternative careers that build communities, rather than destroy them,â€Â Rios-Spicer said. “They are coming here to recruit students and there are many other jobs that promote peace.â€Â

Martin Cuevas, a protester from the American Friends Service Committee, gives presentations to inform the community of their rights and responsibilities.

“We are trying to change the mentality of a lot of the people who say that the undocumented don’t pay taxes,â€Â Cuevas said. He said, “If you go to the store, just let them know that you are undocumented and you don’t have to pay taxes and see what they say.â€Â

Cuevas said the undocumented people that ICE is targeting are contributing to the economy and are needed to perform the jobs that they generally hold in the U.S. “They’re here to work. I’m not gonna go to a country just to destroy it. That country is feeding me, it’s helping me, it’s helping me send money to help support my family in my home country,â€Â Cuevas said.

“That’s all they want. They want an opportunity and that is all they’re asking right now.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

• بطرس بطرسFeb 7, 2009 at 2:28 am

And cheese…

• بطرس بطرسFeb 7, 2009 at 9:28 am

And cheese…

• P

PACIVFeb 7, 2009 at 2:09 am

Wow, bucket fan! Now, we have resorted to name-calling?! Very professional and educated of you! First and foremost, if you’re going to argue something in writing, please do it where the reader other than you can make sense of what you’re trying to argue! You left me slightly confused for a second, but I digress… dw has not argued one valid point in this article. As matter of fact, the only persons that have argued anything valid and comprehendible are the ones that seem to be against these students protesting. Illegal Irishmen are minuscule when you make the comparison to illegal immigrants in this country. No one here in the US hears or reads about Irish gangs invading our streets. Unfortunately, the gangs that invade and pollute our streets are those from mostly Latino and/or Southeast Asian descent. bucket fan, for your own information, right now, in LA there is a huge gang problem — and I’m not talking about Crips and Bloods — made up of illegal immigrants of all sorts. Therefore, the root of the problem has to be nipped right at the source and we need to implement tougher immigration policies to protect the civil liberties and freedoms of this great country of ours. But I do agree that it’s a shame, though, that when ICE does go into these homes to apprehend illegal immigrants that the anchorbabies are the ones that fall victims. But once again, I emphasize that the role of ICE within the Department of Homeland Security is far greater than just tearing families apart.

• P

PACIVFeb 7, 2009 at 9:09 am

Wow, bucket fan! Now, we have resorted to name-calling?! Very professional and educated of you! First and foremost, if you’re going to argue something in writing, please do it where the reader other than you can make sense of what you’re trying to argue! You left me slightly confused for a second, but I digress… dw has not argued one valid point in this article. As matter of fact, the only persons that have argued anything valid and comprehendible are the ones that seem to be against these students protesting. Illegal Irishmen are minuscule when you make the comparison to illegal immigrants in this country. No one here in the US hears or reads about Irish gangs invading our streets. Unfortunately, the gangs that invade and pollute our streets are those from mostly Latino and/or Southeast Asian descent. bucket fan, for your own information, right now, in LA there is a huge gang problem ”” and I’m not talking about Crips and Bloods ”” made up of illegal immigrants of all sorts. Therefore, the root of the problem has to be nipped right at the source and we need to implement tougher immigration policies to protect the civil liberties and freedoms of this great country of ours. But I do agree that it’s a shame, though, that when ICE does go into these homes to apprehend illegal immigrants that the anchorbabies are the ones that fall victims. But once again, I emphasize that the role of ICE within the Department of Homeland Security is far greater than just tearing families apart.

bucket fanFeb 7, 2009 at 1:28 am

if irish are here illegally and thier not making ruckus….they should be…..the only problem here that morons like PacIV whateber your name is, is that thats the whole argument.

DW has very very strong points……..

Those irish illegal immigratns wont get harassed because they are white. Dont you get it? But like has been said on here your hiding behind white sheets.

Props to these students who know when ICE and COPS are being racist by only targeting certain people that are illegal and not ALL illegals.

bucket fanFeb 7, 2009 at 8:28 am

DW has very very strong points……..

Chowchilla ThrillaFeb 6, 2009 at 9:11 pm

dw, you’re misguided on so many counts…

Chowchilla ThrillaFeb 7, 2009 at 4:11 am

dw, you’re misguided on so many counts…

• P

PACIVFeb 6, 2009 at 4:09 pm

dw, you just don’t get it, don’t you? No one here is going to any extreme of talking about KKK activities and whatnot. I, for a fact know that ICE goes into safe houses in cities like LA where illegal Southern and Eastern Europeans, Asians, and Africans are residing and apprehend them for questioning and deportation. These non-Latino illegals are treated the same way as any other illegal Latino immigrants are treated, in regards to being deported to their respectable countries. It seems to me that the few (Mexicans/Latinos) who support illegal immigration don’t understand that if something or someone is “illegalâ€Â, they are breaking or violating one law or another. And if someone is breaking or violating a law, then they are participating in criminal activity. If the US were to lax their rules for immigrants, we would get an influx of illegal immigrants from every corner of the globe. When a country allows this influx of immigrants, some but not all, will partake in criminal activity such as various smuggling and trafficking. I know that NOT all illegal immigrants participate in such activities, but it only takes a few a rotten apples to ruin it for everyone. So what the ignorant need to do is go to the ice.gov website and sign up for their newsletter and read up on their headlines, to see that ICE does more than just break into people’s homes to tear apart families. I just feel that Mexicans/Latinos need to stop biting the hand that feeds and educates them…

• P

PACIVFeb 6, 2009 at 11:09 pm

dw, you just don’t get it, don’t you? No one here is going to any extreme of talking about KKK activities and whatnot. I, for a fact know that ICE goes into safe houses in cities like LA where illegal Southern and Eastern Europeans, Asians, and Africans are residing and apprehend them for questioning and deportation. These non-Latino illegals are treated the same way as any other illegal Latino immigrants are treated, in regards to being deported to their respectable countries. It seems to me that the few (Mexicans/Latinos) who support illegal immigration don’t understand that if something or someone is “illegal”, they are breaking or violating one law or another. And if someone is breaking or violating a law, then they are participating in criminal activity. If the US were to lax their rules for immigrants, we would get an influx of illegal immigrants from every corner of the globe. When a country allows this influx of immigrants, some but not all, will partake in criminal activity such as various smuggling and trafficking. I know that NOT all illegal immigrants participate in such activities, but it only takes a few a rotten apples to ruin it for everyone. So what the ignorant need to do is go to the ice.gov website and sign up for their newsletter and read up on their headlines, to see that ICE does more than just break into people’s homes to tear apart families. I just feel that Mexicans/Latinos need to stop biting the hand that feeds and educates them…

dwFeb 6, 2009 at 11:22 am

So you believe illealimmigration by whites is okay? You folks sure sound like a bunch of white-sheet wearing Klanmen!

dwFeb 6, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Day Without a Mexican Flag at Fresno State - No se puede!Feb 6, 2009 at 12:19 am

Other nationalities (I fear to use the term ‘ethnicities’ because it undermines the debate and allows people to use the ‘r’ word—-racist) are not flooding California and do not have the potential to drastically damage national policy. Irish-American illegals (the few that actually exist this day and age must go through airport security and actually are from the national with the world’s highest current living standard. They aren’t usually protesting to get things they knowingly have done nothing to deserve. Irish-Americans are not still coming to this country in droves to birth dozens of children simply to take advantage of the welfare system, relaxed citizenship as a native born birthright, and as a way to remain in the country legally.

Day Without a Mexican Flag atFeb 6, 2009 at 7:19 am

• P

PACIVFeb 6, 2009 at 12:01 am

You don’t see or hear of Irish protesting against US policies and waiving their Irish flag around on US soil! If the Irish come here to “pound nails” then that’s all they’re doing and not protesting and demonstrating. Anyway, why bring the Irish into this? The ones that were protesting at Fresno State were Latinos or Mexicans or whatever the proper nomenclature is politically correct nowadays. Yes, I agree that there are other illegal immigrants out there that are non-Latino, but those illegal immigrants make themselves sparse from the public spotlight. You don’t hear of illegal Irishmen trying to get a CA driver’s license and then protest because the state won’t issue one to them. The case of the matter is when government agencies visit your campus to recruit possible candidates for a career within the US Government; you don’t blindfold yourself — as if your turn is up to pin the tail on the donkey or swing at the piñata — and protest in front of the Satellite Student Union. You go in and inquire, or simply just stay away if it’s not your cup of tea. The end of story!

• P

PACIVFeb 6, 2009 at 7:01 am

You don’t see or hear of Irish protesting against US policies and waiving their Irish flag around on US soil! If the Irish come here to “pound nails” then that’s all they’re doing and not protesting and demonstrating. Anyway, why bring the Irish into this? The ones that were protesting at Fresno State were Latinos or Mexicans or whatever the proper nomenclature is politically correct nowadays. Yes, I agree that there are other illegal immigrants out there that are non-Latino, but those illegal immigrants make themselves sparse from the public spotlight. You don’t hear of illegal Irishmen trying to get a CA driver’s license and then protest because the state won’t issue one to them. The case of the matter is when government agencies visit your campus to recruit possible candidates for a career within the US Government; you don’t blindfold yourself ”” as if your turn is up to pin the tail on the donkey or swing at the piñata ”” and protest in front of the Satellite Student Union. You go in and inquire, or simply just stay away if it’s not your cup of tea. The end of story!

dwFeb 5, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Well, let’s pose this question to the folks claiming not to be racist: why is it that the ONLY ethnicity you automatically brand as illegal immigrants (regardless of whether they are or not, by the way) are Latinos. Don’t hear you complaining about the illegal white immigrants such as the Irish who come in to “pound nails” in the construction industry here in California and elsewhere.

dwFeb 6, 2009 at 6:42 am

• P

PACIVFeb 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Well, Jared Harper (if that’s your real name), you have a lot to learn when it comes to politics and economics. For the others that made comments in regards to this article, they surely have some valid points — oppose to you. It seems to be true that once anyone, including myself, whom happens to be Hispanic and opposes the behavior of a collective few – we are suddenly labeled as racists. California is not my native state, but in my home state and at any of the local universities, I know that if such a job fair was held, many students of all ethnic backgrounds would be queuing out the door to partake and take advantage of the opportunity that the Federal Government Job Fair provided for ALL of the Fresno State students.

In regards to Wal-Mart and Starbucks, do you think that they sail into third world countries like Spanish Conquistadors and round up the locals, so that they can be placed in sweatshops for the purpose of cheap labor? The answer is no! Before Wal-Mart and Starbucks enter these countries, the host government implements certain policies before these multinational corporations can break ground and set up shop. What may be perceived as a sweatshop here in the US is surely perceived differently abroad. People who work in so-called sweatshops are making an honest wage in their native country. Yes, they as sweatshop laborers may be only making a $1 or $2 a day, but that fact of the matter is that the one greenback they earned that day will go a long way in that country!

And in regards to illegal immigrants (Mexicans), why are they the only ones whom tend NOT to make the effort of becoming naturalized like other ethnic groups do when they arrive here legally or illegally, in this great country of ours with the intent to stay? And why should the US change its laws and policies — that benefit and protect the freedoms and liberties of US citizens — just to accommodate illegal immigrants? All I can say is that if a group of US students protested and waived the US Flag around the Zócalo in Mexico City, they’d be lynched or kidnapped in a heartbeat! No country or its citizens like having another country’s flag waived around on their soil, yet, here in the US, we always have to tolerate the waiving and demonstrating of the Mexican flag in our US streets.

• P

PACIVFeb 6, 2009 at 5:32 am

Well, Jared Harper (if that’s your real name), you have a lot to learn when it comes to politics and economics. For the others that made comments in regards to this article, they surely have some valid points ”” oppose to you. It seems to be true that once anyone, including myself, whom happens to be Hispanic and opposes the behavior of a collective few ”“ we are suddenly labeled as racists. California is not my native state, but in my home state and at any of the local universities, I know that if such a job fair was held, many students of all ethnic backgrounds would be queuing out the door to partake and take advantage of the opportunity that the Federal Government Job Fair provided for ALL of the Fresno State students.

And in regards to illegal immigrants (Mexicans), why are they the only ones whom tend NOT to make the effort of becoming naturalized like other ethnic groups do when they arrive here legally or illegally, in this great country of ours with the intent to stay? And why should the US change its laws and policies ”” that benefit and protect the freedoms and liberties of US citizens ”” just to accommodate illegal immigrants? All I can say is that if a group of US students protested and waived the US Flag around the Zócalo in Mexico City, they’d be lynched or kidnapped in a heartbeat! No country or its citizens like having another country’s flag waived around on their soil, yet, here in the US, we always have to tolerate the waiving and demonstrating of the Mexican flag in our US streets.

Jared HarperFeb 5, 2009 at 5:38 pm

OK PACV whatever and CHARLES not so IN CHARGE, and Cleveland Stooger……and any of you others who are too scared to post your full name…

so let me get this straight, its ok for people on here to want illegal immigrants to go back to where they came from, yet its ok for many of us to shop and support places like walmart or starbucks that establish thier “sweatshop” corporations in the country where the “illegals” came from and you want to sit there and have your cheap fruits and veggies and cheap products made in other countries and you dont want to make a life out of working the farmlands that NO US CITIZEN WILL DO rather they collect unemployment, but your saying its too illegal to try and change laws that will make things better for them?

Jared HarperFeb 6, 2009 at 12:38 am

• N

N. AdamsFeb 5, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Once again, the issues have been skirted by the Collegian. While I appreciate your response to my earlier comment, you missed the point. In reporting, you don’t have to get direct quotes from organizations. Would it have been too much to insert statistics as to how many illegal aliens ICE actually deports? Instead of even attempting to show both sides of the story, this was clearly a one sided piece. The opinions of the protesters were what was highlighted. When did journalism become just about reporting what people say? As reporters, it is your obligation to obtain facts – which could have been included – instead of just comments from whomever is complaining the loudest.

On another note… I agree with Charles in Charge. Why is it okay for a collective of Latinos to be vocal about what they feel is unfair; however, when opposing voices chime in… suddenly we’re white racists? Who’s the racist now?

• N

N. AdamsFeb 5, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Charles in chargeFeb 4, 2009 at 10:04 pm

dw, qualify that statement if you can> One takes a stand against illegal immigration and you label them ‘white racists’? Technically speaking, Latinos are ‘whites’ from an anthropoligical standpoint. But where is the merit to that offensive comment…?

Charles in chargeFeb 5, 2009 at 5:04 am

• P

PACIVFeb 4, 2009 at 9:45 pm

It is very upsetting and embarrassing to me — a Fresno State alumnus — to see how these Mexican students behaved during this job fair. Is this how we want to represent Fresno State to all of the federal agencies that were in attendance? These agencies were in attendance to possibly recruit and offer information to current Fresno State students on the various ways they can serve their country through a lustrous career working for the US Government. I, myself, wish, while I was at Fresno State, had the opportunity to have such a Federal Government Fair available to me. If these Mexican students want to protest against a government or federal agency, they should protest against the corrupt Mexican government and its lackluster economy that drove them and their families here to the US, illegally. Instead of protesting and making fools out of themselves, these students should have spent their day in the library reading a textbook or studying for their first midterm of the year. What I never understood while I was a student at Fresno State, was how most, if not all Mexican students, always romanticized Mexico, yet, they were here in the US always whining about something political? It just never made sense to me, then, and from the video clip I saw, it still does not make sense to me, now.

• P

PACIVFeb 5, 2009 at 4:45 am

dwFeb 4, 2009 at 8:05 pm

I see the white racists are at it.

dwFeb 5, 2009 at 3:05 am

I see the white racists are at it.

Charles in chargeFeb 4, 2009 at 7:45 pm

right on

Charles in chargeFeb 5, 2009 at 2:45 am

right on

Blumpkin DanFeb 4, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Look at these young punks trying to make political statements when they probably have no legal status in this country. Take names and deport these ones.

This country is very forgiving when it comes to all matters immigration. Don’t lose sight of that….You can be illegal, marry an American, and become a citizen after paying 1000 bucks. The family string of immigration is another sad way our country will soon become majority Mexicant. Fathers bring in unreported children, distant cousins, forge documents to bring in aunts thrice removed. Disgusting and dirty stuff that undermines our national laws.

Many of these protestors are probably the same students who want to supplant the American government with the concept of Aztlan.

Wake up, America. There is a reason they call the border area ‘la frontera’ —They feel it is rightfully theirs. The frontier, as in—–our new land. Act now, Don’t hire illegal labor, don’t accept a dual language system in California, demand immigration reform that does not benefit lawbreakers.

Blumpkin DanFeb 5, 2009 at 2:39 am

Cleveland SteverFeb 4, 2009 at 1:21 pm

ICE deports ‘criminal aliens’—they work to make us all safe. And why does a vocal few have the right to disturb a peaceful job fair promoting opportunities for CSU Fresno students? Seems like Fresno State students on the good side of the law should be a little more pissed.

I say disenroll all illegal students taking advantage of the generosity shown by California taxpayers. Tuition can only be kept so low when working folks pay for such a system. Just say ‘NO’ to the DREAM Act!

Cleveland SteverFeb 4, 2009 at 8:21 pm

• H

Heather BillingsFeb 4, 2009 at 9:55 am

N. Adams: If you watched the video, you saw a few claims that legal residents are sometimes also deported. Because we could not get a comment from the ICE, we were unable to present any rebuttal they may have had. Without speaking to them, it is impossible for us to say that this only happens to legal residents since we have nothing stating that that is true.

• H

Heather BillingsFeb 4, 2009 at 4:55 pm

• N

N. AdamsFeb 4, 2009 at 9:44 am

In the article, there is a comment about how children are afraid to go to school and parents are refusing to go to work…. There’s another statement about communities being destroyed by ICE because people are being deported back to their homelands…. I am disappointed that the Collegian skirted around the real issue at hand here. There’s a simple solution and explanation to both of these complaints – which the Collegian clearly failed to address. None of these fears or protests would exist if the people that were being deported were legal residents – or even if they were in the process of becoming legal, documented citizens. Problem solved. Oh, and the part about ‘not being required to pay taxes’… Naturally they pay taxes when they go to the grocery store or when they buy other goods; however, the bigger picture was once again missed here. Many citizens of the United States are irate over the fact that when you’re an undocumented person earning an illegal income here, then you’re not paying taxes on your earnings. The taxes that I’m referring to fund schools, hospitals, and other services – services that illegal immigrants and their children use. Next time you decide to address such a controversial topic, perhaps covering the facts – not opinions – would be more appropriate.

• N

N. AdamsFeb 4, 2009 at 4:44 pm

M A AndrewsFeb 4, 2009 at 8:10 am

“This country is feeding me,its helping me,its helping me send money to help
    support my family in my home country” Cuevas said!

These are the reasons that Mexico is doing everything it can
    to create a Spanish speaking Illegal Mexican Nation within the borders
    of the USA. Mexico aids,abets and even urges its people to illegally
    cross into the USA,calling them “heroes” and “Those who will
    think Mexico 1st into the 7th Generation!

M A AndrewsFeb 4, 2009 at 3:10 pm