UHS instructor booked for lewd acts

Photo courtesy of University High School

The University Police Department announced this afternoon that University High School (UHS) faculty member Jonathan McCoy Malcolm has been arrested on charges that include the distribution of lewd material and annoying or molesting a minor.

Dr. James Bushman, head of school at UHS, said the school was contacted on Tuesday, Jan. 27 and informed of a possible relationship between Malcolm, 31, and at least one student. The school contacted University Police Department that day, and a collaborative investigation with the Fresno Police Department led to Malcolm̢۪s arrest before 2 p.m. Wednesday afternoon. The investigation remains open and details of the arrest are being withheld.

“I’ve got to tell you, it’s impossible for us to express the magnitude of our disappointment, sadness and anger that this event has happened,â€Â Bushman said. “We are devastated that this has occurred on our campus.â€Â

Malcolm posted bail and has since been released from the Fresno County jail.

Bryan Cole / The Collegian

Bushman confirmed that parents of UHS students have been contacted via mail and e-mail. Beginning Friday, the school will make available additional counseling for students who are interested.

The status of Malcolm’s job has not yet been determined with the University High School board members — consisting of several Fresno State faculty members and Fresno community members — scheduled to meet at 5 p.m. tomorrow evening to determine a proper course of action.

“I would think everything is clearly on the table,â€Â Bushman said.

Malcolm has been a teacher at University High School since August 28, 2005, serving as an instrumental music instructor, which includes teaching music theory classes and the conducting of musical ensemble groups.

Related content:
Video- UHS music teacher arrested