Letter to the editor: A campus trashed

College students have a reputation of being irresponsible and pretty lazy. We try to convince people we are not lazy and we try so hard to break the stereotypical mold that has been placed upon us.

Yet, somehow, we cannot seem to do simple things that show we are capable of running free in the “real world.â€Â

A simple action like making sure your trash is placed in the specified containers seems to be lost on students at Fresno State.

Just the other day, I was walking to a class in the Science II building and I needed to throw a napkin away and when I got to the nearest trash can it was overflowing — extremely overflowing.

But, for some reason, people kept piling more trash in it. Now our campus has trash cans all over the place, so why have we not stopped to think, “This one is full. I’ll throw my trash in the next one,â€Â?

We take a step in the right direction, but we do not finish the task by making sure our trash is not going to end up falling out of the full can and winding up on the ground. I know we’re all in a hurry, but seriously, do not trash your campus. Just make sure the trash can you are using is not about to explode all over the place.

Rachael Bell
Freshman
Liberal Studies